Thread: Recommend me a budget mixer :)

Recommend me a budget mixer :)

Hi I’m looking for some advice for a 2 channel budget mixer, I’ve probably got around £300 to spend on upgrading my current mixer which is a pretty worn and broken behringer djx750, I only run vinyl at the moment as I haven’t got a laptop or computer but may get one next year at some point. I mainly mix ragga jungle and wouldnt mind learning a bit of scratching. I’ve came up with the following options.

Pioneer djm 250mk2

Allen and heath 23 with an innofader upgrade

Allen and heath 23c

Ecler nuo 2.0

Anyone got any advice or hands on experience with the above?

Search on amazon for "DJ-Tech DIF-1M".

The mixers you mention are all OK.
    I use Ecler, they are solid mixers, although the company no longer manufactures DJ mixers - so they will not support them in the future.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Pioneer djm 250mk2 - very bad phono pre-amps judging by user reports, designed for DVS so watch out if you intend to run real vinyl. No booth, no split cue, no record out but the filters have resonance control and sound good (compared to previous generation of DJM mixers). DJM-S3 is the SDJ certified version of it (with the added price tag for SDJ licence)

Allen and heath 23/23c with an innofader upgrade - had several friends that had to service theirs for various issues (buzzing in various outputs and other typical analog mixer problems), doesn't seem to have the traditional A&H quality. Slighty odd layout that takes getting used to (EQs on the outside) and not very friendly for scratching (fader curves and other stuff). 23C model doesnt have TSP/Serato certification for timecode (and requires user modification for DVS in general) so makes sense only if you intend to use VDJ/Mixxx/Cross (or Traktor Pro with HID mode or modular controllers). Small (short) knobs for somebody with long fingers.

Ecler nuo 2.0 - great little mixer with a input/output section that other manufacturers can only dream of. Great S/R loop. Full scratch features (fader contours, reverse). Gets my vote if you have a preference for analog mixers. Cons: getting harder to find them in good condition secondhand, also no split cue. Not sure you can fit a innofader in it.

Also, check for Denon X600. Seems like it ticks a lot of features that you require and fits the budget.

Yeah! Allen & Heath mixers are not now what they have been: I had one ( Xone:23 ) and it was not calibrated enough precisely to my liking. I have switched for a Reloop RMX-60 wich offers a surprisingly good sound quality, no hiss or humm even at very high level and upper mids are better than with A & H! Reloop also manufacture 2 and 3 channel mixers that I would highly recommend to you since they are very well built, solid and they have there too the Reloop sound quality. But Ecler is still a very good choice. ;-)

Ecler seems to have gone back into the DJ mixer business a while ago.. I think over a year ago. They brought back a few of the models they used to make:

http://www.ecler.com/products/analog...dj-mixers.html

But they have much more limited distribution than before, for example B&H in New York used to carry them but don't anymore, nor any place else in the USA. Juno and Thomann seem to have them. Anyway I'm glad they're still out there somewhat being made and sold, even if in a limited way, because the Nuo is my favorite mixer and I would like to be able to get parts for it when I need them.. and maybe replace it with another one when this one's done...

Not available here in Canada either. Too bad, I like those mixers.

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post

Ecler nuo 2.0 - Great S/R loop.
    Regrettably not. Works fine with Kaoss Pads but not with Pioneer EFX&RMX units

Any used 24bit Numark mixer with the power supply that you like the features of, add an innofader to it, and take apart and clean the upfaders on it with alcohol soaking then apply 3-in-1 to the rails.