Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does It Sound Like A Record?

Hybrid View

Does It Sound Like A Record?

I've worked on and off on this remix for a while now and think it sounds pretty good. There is still some stuff to tidy up.
    I need some objective inputs that aren't biased like friends and family.

Does the track sound, sound like a finished recored as a whole. Not in terms of arrangement, etc.

Here be a snippet of the said track.

Cheers!

Just played that on my mono laptop speaker, it translates pretty good.

I like what I hear but I do wonder if the vocals are meant to be overpowered by the synths?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Now I am listening again in proper headphones, I agree with the above, the synths and pads are just slightly overpowering. Other than that it sounds pretty clean though the sound quality feels compressed in the busy parts. I'm guessing that is a low res going through soundcloud's player.

Thanks guys.

I did want the vocals lowish in the mix and for the synths to be dominant. might not have the balance quite right.

Will check all the compressors on the groups and mix bus to make sure I'm not pushing too hard on them. I did set them to very light comp 1 or 2 dB gain reduction.

To me it sounds "like a record".

Anything else is just style. For me I could say that the vocals sound stonger if I compare it to music of the same type (I'm thinking trance like the old Hooj Tunes stuff).
    If I compare the kick drum to more modern stuff, it sounds weaker to my ears.

But again, that is just "style" to me. It sounds...like a trance record. Good work.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Put a dynamic EQ on the buss for all the music (not the vocal) activate the sidechain. Use a Send on the vocal bus to go to the sidechain. Have the dynamic EQ set at 2k, large Q (the vocal range) and to reduce 3-4db, with a really low threshold. Now when ever the vocal hits the music will duck, the duck will be unnoticable but it allows the vocal to sit in the track more and still be heard.

Neutron 2 EQ can do this. if you don't have a dynamic eq it can be done with a multiband compressor.

It can also be done with a normal compressor but as this will do all the frequencies, only put it on the mid synths or have it ducking only 1 db. When using a compressor to do this set the threshold down in -40 to -50 and the ratio to be almost non existent, like 1.01 to 1.04.

This results in the synths wrapping round the vocal, with out the vocal disappearing.

For dance music, putting and LFO/volume shaper on the vocal, to make it bounce, duk with the kick, 10-30% helps to make the track pump.

mitchiemasha, interesting tip. Will try the mulitband 1st as I have that. Haven't got the money for Nuetron at the mo. Might pick up the Waves equivalent when it's at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Enstrom View Post
    Will try the mulitband 1st as I have that.
    Using the multiband does give us more control, attack and release times but fussing over these for this purpose just tends to slow us down. An advantage of using a dynamic EQ instead is you set how much the music will duck too (the max 3db) where as the compressor will keep ducking more as the vocal increases.

When using the compressor method it's important to set the threshold way down low, -40/-60 depending. We want the ducking to start as soon as the vocal does. If we set a threshold at -10/-20, only the louder parts of the vocal will turn the music down, which don't need it too. Again this is why the Dynamic EQ is better once it's hit the most reduction required it won't reduce more as the vocal increases in volume.

Edit: However the difference is negligible. It's the accumulation of all the negligible differences that makes a difference.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 12-07-2017 at 11:43 AM.

The vocals overpower the music but it's a great record you have there. I have played it on my laptop