Thread: Speaker Skrims slipping on some surfaces

Speaker Skrims slipping on some surfaces

Hey all,

Long story short, when I put speakerstand covers on my stands, the weight of the top pushing down in combination of the type of surface the stand was on, would cause it to slip a little bit and lower.

Now with heavier speakers, this has gotten to the point where I have to ditch the speaker stand covers entirely in some cases. Is there something you put under the legs to give it more traction, or do I just need better speaker stands that have like.. locking legs or something? The typical jamstands aren't covering it. Thanks!

(If you're not familiar with what I'm referring to, something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgLNzvD_BwE)

The legs of your stand shouldn't be spreading out. There should be something already there to keep them from spreading. If the stands are old though, it might be worn out.

Cable between legs, done.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
    The legs of your stand shouldn't be spreading out. There should be something already there to keep them from spreading. If the stands are old though, it might be worn out.
    These are brand new stands, and usually it isn't a problem if I don't use the speaker skrim, but on some flooring they slip a bit with my QSC K10s. In those situations if I have my QSC K12.2s, they slip a lot and I have to ditch the skrim - no matter how hard I tighten the joint. It's not so much the stands themselves that are the problem - it's the combination of adding the skrim fabric over the feet which causes them to apparently lose traction, plus the added weight of the speaker. They won't slip if I take off the speaker skrim.

Maybe another option is to just make sure the speaker stand is where I want it and then put the skrim around the foot but not on the bottom so it retains grip. I'm just afraid of it coming off somehow unexpectedly.

Manu - What did you mean when you said "cable between the legs"? Literally using a cable to tie the legs together?

Something else I just realized - I think I was extending the legs too far? What I mean by that is like, if you pull the pole alway the way to the point where when you push the pole down that the legs go out instead of in, that's where I have my problem. I realized that I could just spread the legs out without pulling the pole out as much so that when you push down, it pushes the legs *inward* - know what I mean? Means I have to telescope the pole more and that I can't get it as high, but I think this will fix my problem - which is way more important.