Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behringer speaker & AMP set up - which speakers?

Behringer speaker & AMP set up - which speakers?

Hi All,

First time poster here.

I have been given the task of setting up a PA system for a christmas concert and have inherited some equipment:

1x Behringer PMP5000 2 x 600-Watt stereo powered mixer (1,200 Watt bridged mode)
    2x Behringer Eurolive B1520 400W/800W program/peak power
    2x Behringer Eurolive B212XL 200W/800W program/peak power

My limited knowledge leads me to use the B1520's as they have a higher program/peak wattage. Would I be able to make use of the B212XL speakers, perhaps connecting them to the B1520's? Would I notice any difference (good or bad)? I could use the B212XLs as floor monitors but already have this covered - hence why the two B212XL's are spare.

What would the recommended set up be?

Thank you in advance and happy to provide any more info if you need it!

Number of people size of venue are you playing music or are people singing.
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Quote Originally Posted by tom.white View Post
    I have been given the task of setting up a PA system for a christmas concert and have inherited some equipment:
    Would I be able to make use of the B212XL speakers,
    If you have a fairly large area to cover then yes make use of all 4 speakers.. hopefully you have stands to put them up on. The mixer supports 4ohms operation on each channel which means you can daisy chain 2 speakers off each output, so put a pair at the front the second pair down the sides and link them to the first with speaker cables.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown DJ View Post
    Number of people size of venue are you playing music or are people singing.
    Approximately 100 people, in quite a large hall. We will have both singers and music/instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    If you have a fairly large area to cover then yes make use of all 4 speakers.. hopefully you have stands to put them up on. The mixer supports 4ohms operation on each channel which means you can daisy chain 2 speakers off each output, so put a pair at the front the second pair down the sides and link them to the first with speaker cables.
    Thank you for the advice. I was worried about blowing the amp as i'd be doubling the wattage. Forgive me for sounding silly but do I have to change anything to make it 4ohms, or is this auto? Also, Each of the 4 speakers have an impedance of 8ohms. I've done a quick calculation online and the results came to 2ohm total. (again, i'm probably totally wrong here!) This would be lower than the 4ohm you've recommended?
    Last edited by tom.white; 12-06-2017 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Added speaker ohm details

Approximately 100 people, in quite a large hall. We will have both singers and music/instruments.

Thank you for the advice. I was worried about blowing the amp as i'd be doubling the wattage. Forgive me for sounding silly but do I have to change anything to make it 4ohms, or is this auto? Also, Each of the 4 speakers have an impedance of 8ohms. I've done a quick calculation online and the results came to 2ohm total. (again, i'm probably totally wrong here!) This would be lower than the 4ohm you've recommended?

Are you going to be setting up all the mics for the singers and musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown DJ View Post
    Are you going to be setting up all the mics for the singers and musicians?

I am indeed - will have around 6 mics in total.

With only a 100 people and everyone sitting I would go with just 2 B1520 on stands. Make sure to set all the mic levels before hand with people singing and playing instruments.

Forgive me for sounding silly but do I have to change anything to make it 4ohms, or is this auto?
    It is automatic.

Also, Each of the 4 speakers have an impedance of 8ohms. I've done a quick calculation online and the results came to 2ohm total. (again, i'm probably totally wrong here!)
    If you put all 4 speakers on 1 output then yes it would be 2 ohms and that is not recommended. But 2 speakers on each output is 4ohms.

When deploying the speakers and mics make sure all mics are setup behind the speakers and said speakers are pointed away from the mics.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    It is automatic.

If you put all 4 speakers on 1 output then yes it would be 2 ohms and that is not recommended. But 2 speakers on each output is 4ohms.

When deploying the speakers and mics make sure all mics are setup behind the speakers and said speakers are pointed away from the mics.
    To clarify this: if ran in parallel this hold's true.

Series would go the opposite way. Not many people connect in series.

Thank you for your help guys - you've all been great