Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Headphones for bedroom DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Noize View Post
    Beats have probably the very worst of headphone reputations here.
    And probably the vast majority of the haters have never even tried a pair.

When I was looking for a new pair of headphones for my iPod I listened to dozens of mid-priced headphones ($300 - $600). It came down to two pairs that I really liked the sound of. The Beats Pro & the Sennheiser HD 630VB, I ended up getting the Beats, mainly because they were a hundred dollars cheaper than the Sennheiser. (I like that you can turn down the bass on the HD 630VB when listening to talk show podcasts.) The Beats I have are well built & sound great.

I can't speak for other Beats products since the Beats Pro is the only one I've tried.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 01-06-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad-I-Nation View Post

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Anybody else see a green Muppet with white eyes?
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    And probably the vast majority of the haters have never even tried a pair.

When I was looking for a new pair of headphones for my iPod I listened to dozens of mid-priced headphones ($300 - $600). It came down to two pairs that I really liked the sound of. The Beats Pro & the Sennheiser HD 630VB, I ended up getting the Beats, mainly because they were a hundred dollars cheaper than the Sennheiser. (I like that you can turn down the bass on the HD 630VB when listening to talk show podcasts.) The Beats I have are well built & sound great.

I can't speak for other Beats products since the Beats Pro is the only one I've tried.
    I tried the Beats Mixr headphones (DJing version) here in London. They looked really nice with their partial metal frames, but just sounded so muddy, lacking mid-range and treble, with no real definition. They seem to concentrate purely on the bass. I thought they were poor compared to my Bowers & Wilkins P5 phones that I had with me, and I wouldn't use those for DJing either, just for listening in the street. HD25s will knock spots off Beats Mixrs every time, and I'd be surprised if the Beats Pro phones are significantly better, although to be fair I haven't tried them.

Personally, I'll stick with my awesome Beyer Dynamic DT1350s, sold to me brand new about 6 years ago by our resident expert JFunk.
    "Even self-perception and the sense of time were changed. When the eyes were closed, colored pictures flashed past in a quickly changing kaleidoscope. What had caused this condition?" -- Albert Hofmann -- Laboratory Notes (1943)

I haven't tried Beats in a while, it's entirely possible that they stopped sucking quite so much once Apple bought the brand.
    But when they first got really big, I tried them, and they just really sucked.. over-priced, under-performing. Just a bs hype machine, a total no go.

Companies like that, I really am not inclined to give them a second chance.

What's that you say.. one person thinks that one model beats is as good as Sennheiser? Ok then, thanks.. good to know that they managed to not totally suck on one model.. but guess I will stick with Sennheiser. Because if Beats goes out of business, who cares? But I want Sennheiser to stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    I learned the hard way that headphones have to go loud enough, otherwise you won't be able to cue or beatmatch. Comfort and sturdiness play a major role too which is why some of the high-end studio headphones for example aren't suitable for DJ use (the HD-25's are really uncomfortable when used for long periods whereas a pair of AKG 121's aren't nowhere near sturdy)

This also puts stress on your mixer's headphone amp.

In bedroom use it's not a factor but when you're playing your first gig you'll get what I mean.
    i totally agree with u that the hd-25's are unconfortable if they are on your ears for longer, but i would recommend them anyway because u don't use them to listen to music strictly; you just beatmatch...

Sennheiser HD25 is the supreme king of headphones for DJ'ing.

I don't find them uncomfortable on the ears as some people say, but there is something those people forget... the HD25s are the lightest DJ headphones out there and that puts them above the rest in comfortability IMO.

They are also the sturdiest, and if you like me aren't good at being really careful with your stuff, HD25s are the best you can get.

Skullcandy

-KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I personally like to use studio earphones for home mixing. I get more out of the mix that way. DJ headphones come with some added benefit that allow it to pump sound louder, sending the signal at a good volume without hurting the earphones, and this is of course for live situations. But it sounds different than studio headphones, I can't quite explain it but it sounds flatter to me. I like mixing at home with studio headphones precisely because I can hear the changes and mixes with more detail than with DJ headphones. In a live setting that doesn't matter as much plus you can burn your studio earphones if you try and do a live gig. I use the DT 880 PRO from Beyerdynamic at home. I think they make outstanding studio earphones, you can see the full line at their website. Otherwise for live settings I like to use the Technics earphones that someone already posted about above.

I have to add an extra layer of context though with this. I'm really talking about headphone mixing which is possible and I prefer this method at home. I can sometimes switch on the monitors but this is somewhat rare, and usually just for listening while I'm cleaning stuff or doing something else or if I want to replay stuff back. Most people live with others so blasting your stuff is usually not an option for many bedroom DJ's. Learning how to earphone mix is pretty essential for getting good at your craft I think and the best earphones in my humble opinion are studio earphones for that. Once you start blasting your stuff on monitors and start cuing and mixing that way, then switch the earphones over to your standard DJ headphones to handle the change in DB.
    Last edited by PauleBrosef; 04-09-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Skullcandy

This was a joke... just in case people missed it.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I am currently using the Bluedio Victory. Unknown brand from China but great sound.6 drivers in each earpiece and can run optical cable from a digital source