Thread: All time best mixes

All time best mixes

Hi guys

I actually had no idea where to put this thread, so if it's wrong I do apologize.

Lately I've become frustrated of listening to sets where there are absolutely no skills involved. The energy in those sets is so low I just tend to stop listening halfway through because they do not entertain me.

I remember when I was younger and there was less technology involved, people were more creative. I once watched a video of a techno dj mixing vinyl. He was mixing so fast he put the next record on his back just so he could put the next song on in less than 5 seconds. Amazing to see. Now they just turn a button.

Look I'm not against technology in se, as long as it's used to make better sets. Which most dj's nowadays don't do.

The question is, I'm looking for great sets, genre doesn't matter. As long as it has great energy, great transitions, great showcase of skills.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Brit.../release/59048

Entirely mixed on vinyl, great blends, changes in speed while blending etc. Great song selection too, one of my all time favourites.

Also this, but the amount of DJ tags is a bit too much as you're constantly reminded who mixed it:

Last edited by Manu; 12-02-2017 at 06:01 AM.

The Dj you refer to is Jeff Mills. He started out as a disco DJ back in the day. The skills required were a lot different to the skills used today by DJs.
    Here's his set.

One of my favourite mix DJs is Freddy Fresh. Lots of disco, hip-hop, breaks and acid.
    https://www.mixcloud.com/discover/freddy-fresh/

Although from the new breed of DJs there are many with serious talent such as Dj Enferno, although it seems he has recently been going down the commercial route

As for raw original talent on turntables, I have still never seen anyone with better technique than qbert
    Last edited by pete; 12-02-2017 at 06:13 AM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

DJ AM Power 106 mix. That made the guy a legend and known world wide overnight.

https://soundcloud.com/dj-am-officia...-power-106-mix
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Jeff Mills jam is simple yet I like it. I really do. Thanks Pete for sharing it with us.

samples galore, dnb, techno, downtempo, dub, experimental, and more shaken and stirred to perfection.

coldcut = heroes