Thread: CMY moving heads

CMY moving heads

I'm in the market for 2 CMY moving heads. I am a mobile DJ so size and price are important. I do not want any of those knock offs that are cheaply made. Looking for name brand lights.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Far from an expert, but I have several different moving head lights.

I have 2 of the imports, for the money, they really aren't that bad, IMO. But I wouldn't buy them again.

That said when I picked up some ADJ Inno pocket wash lights I discovered how crappy the servos are in the imports, the ADJ's are snappy and quick. I really like the pocket wash as it is multi function if you are programming them. I can set them as wash lights only, for some scenes, then have them move a little, or a lot on others.

I also picked up some used Chauvet Intimidator 155's, they aren't nearly as snappy as the ADJ lights are. I end up making small moves, and using the gobos more on the Chauvet, I'm a little disappointed they aren't as quick. I'm going to swing by GC and see how the ADJ spots run, may end up doing some selling/trading.

None of the lights function that great in sound active mode, IMO, the Chauvet's are the best, but they all end up moving the light where I don't want it. I do run the programs sound active off of the DMX controller, this is where the ADJ's seem to be better at keeping up, and the Chauvet's truncate some moves as they aren't as quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad-I-Nation View Post
    I'm in the market for 2 CMY moving heads.
    Why? What is it about a regular moving head that "won't cut it" for you?

I am a mobile DJ so size and price are important.
    Well this is a highend fixture type so I'm not sure you will find an inexpensive CMY head.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Why? What is it about a regular moving head that "won't cut it" for you?
    I have 2 ADJ Inno Pocket Spots and I dislike seeing all the colors. Ex going from green to red I see yellow and orange. I guess it's not to noticeable but I dislike seeing the colors I don't need.

I guess a fixture with a fast moving color wheel would do the trick.

I had 2 ADJ Q4s but had the issue of no color blending. Ex I magenta equal R&B in the air depending where one is positioned you could see the color your mixing. But 98% of time you would see R&B and not magenta.

I've been looking at getting a 4 pack of the ADJ Vizi RXONE.

I have 2 ADJ Inno Pocket Spots and I dislike seeing all the colors. Ex going from green to red I see yellow and orange. I guess it's not to noticeable but I dislike seeing the colors I don't need.
    Yes.. when the color wheel scrolls you get to see the other colors. A trick to minimizing this is to program scenes that use colors that are sequential on the wheel, and also program a chase to run up through the colors and back down so the wheel doesn't have to scroll all the way back when the chase restarts.

I had 2 ADJ Q4s but had the issue of no color blending. Ex I magenta equal R&B in the air depending where one is positioned you could see the color your mixing. But 98% of time you would see R&B and not magenta.
    Yep that is another thing with these multi color LED sources, I see the same thing with my quad and hex uplights. Some colors blend well but others don't. COB led sources blend better.

I've been looking at getting a 4 pack of the ADJ Vizi RXONE.
    Nice. No motorized focus but maybe it's not needed, and I think I'd miss rotating gobos but it can be set to blackout between color and gobo changes so that would fix that problem for you.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    A trick to minimizing this is to program scenes that use colors that are sequential on the wheel, and also program a chase to run up through the colors and back down so the wheel doesn't have to scroll all the way back when the chase restarts.
    I have done that but there are scenes where I would like a different color.

I seen on the Vizi that there is a rotating prism faset to make up of that.

I'm afraid ALL "Brand Name" and "CMY" lights are probably out of your budget. Unless you consider $5-6,000 per light cheap. I'm not sure why you're considering the ADJ Vizi RXONE - they are a color wheel fixture.

If the color mixing is more important to you than the ability to have gobos, go with something like this:
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

I have four of these and while I didn't get them from monoprice, they're identical. They're actually a great, reliable fixture. Very bright, and the 10-50 degree zoom is fantastic.
    Last edited by sss18734; 12-01-2017 at 07:30 PM.

duplicate
    Last edited by blasterman; 12-03-2017 at 06:54 PM.

IMO, color wheels are a joke on anything in this price class. The LED's are all cool white, so when you pass a warmer colored dichroic in front of it you get 90% of the light filtered out. At least the heads with discrete LEDs producing the right colors produce a color that's *visible*. Again, ADJ / Chauvet and the rest need to get a clue and use warmer LEDs if they are going to keep using color wheels optimized for circa 80's HTI bulbs.

Most of the DJ's I see running the knock off movers are running them in sound active / factory mode. The fixture sss18734 linked to does it right.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterman View Post
    The LED's are all cool white, so when you pass a warmer colored dichroic in front of it you get 90% of the light filtered out. Again, ADJ / Chauvet and the rest need to get a clue and use warmer LEDs if they are going to keep using color wheels optimized for circa 80's HTI bulbs.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterman View Post
    The fixture sss18734 linked to does it right.
    Only problem is it's the wrong type of fixture altogether.. it's a wash instead of a spot/beam.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com