Thread: Audio issues when broadcasting/streaming

Audio issues when broadcasting/streaming

Coming back to djing after a long break of several years and the one thing I can't seem to get working properly is my ability to broadcast/stream live mixes. I see tons of people broadcasting to Facebook live and while I can get it to work I can't seem to get the broadcasting software to accept audio straight from my mixer. Instead, it wants to use the webcam mic which is driving me crazy. I have run a a line from my mixer record out to the input on my laptop, but it doesn't work, it still wants to use the webcam mic. I have heard that newer laptops generally do not have a proper line in, instead having an all in one headphone/mic jack which is what my laptop seems to have. The broadcast software I'm using is Xsplit Broadcaster.

I'm thinking about just buying an inexpensive audio interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 ($150), but not sure if that will do the trick. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and found a workaround.

I'm guessing this is 'the' Kevin James. If so, hi, I'm still listening to your 80s mix Also why are you not using the regular account?

Anyways. Far be it from me to teach the master about technical stuff...

The input on your lapppy is almost certainly an all-in-one. As you can guess, hardly the best for running a line-in for streaming. But where there is a will, there is a way.
    Lets assume you are in Windows, cos I don't speak Apple.
    Click right button on the speaker icon in the bottom right of screen.
    Select "recording devices".
    Select the soundcard of your laptop rather than "microphone".

Now this aint guaranteed to work (nothing is guaranteed with PCs and sound), and you will need to set it up correctly in the streaming software as well.
    But in theory ... it should work.

And welcome back.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I'm guessing this is 'the' Kevin James. If so, hi, I'm still listening to your 80s mix Also why are you not using the regular account?

Anyways. Far be it from me to teach the master about technical stuff...

The input on your lapppy is almost certainly an all-in-one. As you can guess, hardly the best for running a line-in for streaming. But where there is a will, there is a way.
    Lets assume you are in Windows, cos I don't speak Apple.
    Click right button on the speaker icon in the bottom right of screen.
    Select "recording devices".
    Select the soundcard of your laptop rather than "microphone".

Now this aint guaranteed to work (nothing is guaranteed with PCs and sound), and you will need to set it up correctly in the streaming software as well.
    But in theory ... it should work.

And welcome back.
    Hi Pete. There used to be two different Kevin James on this site back in the day... one on the east coast and one on the west coast. I'm the one from the west coast... aka Kevin James west side. We also both used to play on Faderwave too to make things even more confusing. The 80's mix your referring to was KJ east side.

Anyways, now that that's out of the way.. I have tried what you recommend but it did not work unfortunately. I was working on this about a month ago but finally got so frustrated I gave up on it for a while. I'm determined to figure a solution out though.

I am thinking of just getting a USB audio interface and trying that but not sure if it will solve the problem. Either the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen or the Presonus Audiobox 22VSL.

Ah, 'the other' Kevin James.
    That would explain the enviable mixer collection (and computer issues).
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Problem solved. Bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and streaming straight out of the mixer works perfectly now.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
    Problem solved. Bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and streaming straight out of the mixer works perfectly now.
    Good to know.

Nice to see you getting back into it Kevin. Bring on the soulful vibes! I'll check the stream if I ever see you on but I hardly ever visit FB.

I'd like to check it out too. Let DJF know when you're broadcasting and how to watch!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    Good to know.

Nice to see you getting back into it Kevin. Bring on the soulful vibes! I'll check the stream if I ever see you on but I hardly ever visit FB.
    Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I'd like to check it out too. Let DJF know when you're broadcasting and how to watch!
    Next time I stream a set I'll post a link on the forum :-)