Thread: New DJ

New DJ

Hey there all, new to this forum. I am looking into starting up a wedding/GB DJ service, and have a few basic questions. Any help or info is appreciated.

1. I just need to know the main equipment I will need. I am a professional musician, who has played many weddings. I already have two QSC K12's, stands, and a mixing board. What I am assuming I will need will be a laptop, wireless mic and a DJ controller. Also a table and maybe a facade. Musically, I am assuming I will be playing mp3's from the laptop. Anything else to add to this list I might be forgetting? Subwoofer?

2. I have absolutely no interest in scratching, vocal effects, anything like that. In any wedding I've played, there has been none of that, and they went just fine. I'm not looking to play clubs. What is the most simplified DJ controller I can buy, for the purpose of DJing weddings? Furthermore, with the apps they have now, how essential is a DJ control deck for what I am trying to do? If you take away all the bells and whistles that I don't need, is the controller used primarily for quickly transitioning from song to song?

3. What is the best way for me to get my music library together? As a rough guess I am assuming I'll need 5000-10000 songs, ranging from oldies, jazz standards, classic rock, all pop from the last 60 years, some hip hop, some country. Should I be buying CDs, buying off itunes? If I go the CD route, do I actually use the CDs in the controller, or upload them and run everything off the laptop?

Thank you so much for any advice you might have, and please excuse the remedial nature of these questions. -Travis

get yourself a mid level controller like a Pioneer DDJ SR 2 or SX 2. IF you want to play it safe, I would suggest getting a modular setup like a DJM S9 or DJM900 and 2 xdj or cdj's. Reason being is that if the controller craps out on you you're screwed, where as if one of the cdj's goes bad, you have the other still and you have more than one way of playing music (cd, usb, memory card, computer).

without the dj gear, you're just a guy with an ipad (which is what im assuming you're trying to use since you said with all the apps that are available).

Although they have setups that should work just fine, there's more chances of something going wrong with these setups as they are more geared towards average consumers.

As far as library setup and control, itunes and whatever program you use to dj with would be the best option. Itunes libraries are read in Serato DJ. You can use mp3's and control them via the controllers or the modular setup. My suggestion would be to run everything through serato dj (if thats the route you go). You'll get a steady stream of updates since they're be more demand than by running some app off an ipad.
    This signature has been censored. - PCWO

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Colby View Post
    Hey there all, new to this forum. I am looking into starting up a wedding/GB DJ service, and have a few basic questions. Any help or info is appreciated.
    What is a GB DJ?

1. I just need to know the main equipment I will need. I am a professional musician, who has played many weddings. I already have two QSC K12's, stands, and a mixing board. What I am assuming I will need will be a laptop, wireless mic and a DJ controller. Also a table and maybe a facade. Musically, I am assuming I will be playing mp3's from the laptop. Anything else to add to this list I might be forgetting? Subwoofer?
    Laptop
    DJ software
    7 port 3.0 hub
    external sound card & cables/wiring
    External hard drive for music
    4 Channel Mixer & cables/wiring
    Powered speakers & cables/wiring
    (or passive speakers with separate amp)
    two 6+ outlet surge protectors
    Two minimum 25 ft heavy duty extension cords
    One wireless mic
    Headphones
    Based on your statements below, you wont need a controller. Your software will blend songs.

If you are planning on playing ceremonies & receptions in separate locations (ceremony outside & the reception inside... ceremony at the church & reception at a reception venue), you'll need to double most of the above.
    If you think there is a remote possibility that something will malfunction or not work at some point (which it will whether you think so or not), then you will need to double most of the above for back up equipment.
    You will need to plan for some way to transport this much equipment... a van, box truck, trailer etc.
    You need to have liability insurance in case grandma trips over your cables & breaks a hip or if little Johnny runs into a speaker, knocks it over on to grandma & spills her brains out on the brides wedding dress.... or if your equipment causes damage to either the venue or someone else's equipment or person.

You didn't mention other equipment like lights, slide show, karaoke, Gobo, etc.....

2. I have absolutely no interest in scratching, vocal effects, anything like that. In any wedding I've played, there has been none of that, and they went just fine. I'm not looking to play clubs. What is the most simplified DJ controller I can buy, for the purpose of DJing weddings? Furthermore, with the apps they have now, how essential is a DJ control deck for what I am trying to do? If you take away all the bells and whistles that I don't need, is the controller used primarily for quickly transitioning from song to song?
    Again, you dont need a controller to blend songs /files together. Your software will allow you to do that.

3. What is the best way for me to get my music library together? As a rough guess I am assuming I'll need 5000-10000 songs, ranging from oldies, jazz standards, classic rock, all pop from the last 60 years, some hip hop, some country. Should I be buying CDs, buying off itunes? If I go the CD route, do I actually use the CDs in the controller, or upload them and run everything off the laptop?
    You'll need to buy MP3 files from legit sources like Amazon or a record pool, etc. (there is at least 100 threads here on record pools. You can search for these threads & read about that.)
    You can buy CDs if thats what you prefer to use. Most people use MP3's with software now. If you buy CDs, you will need to convert them to an MP3 or buy 2 CD players. You wont use CDs in the controller. A few thousand songs will get you started. As a mobile (wedding) DJ, you'll need a larger library than you would for a club etc so, the more you have, the better. With a little over 20,000 that I have collected over many years, I end up with brides who want those off the wall, extraordinary songs that you'll still have to buy. Then there is always the new songs... the current Country, Pop & Hip Hop tunes that you will need to buy EVERY week to stay current... those songs the young brides & their frat friends will want. Last months songs are now oldies & out of date.

Again, for you & others here who will say you need controllers etc... my info is based on the information you provided.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php