Thread: First Gig! Any tips/help?

First Gig! Any tips/help?

My school is organising a party at the local music stage, and they asked me if i wanted to do a 30-minute mix, for like 300 people! I'm really happy, but i don't have a lot of expierience with playing such a crowd. Do you guys have Any tips/ do's and don'ts? Some extra information: i want to play big room and dance, but not TOO heavy. The origanizer said i could use 4 x Pioneer cdj2000's and a Pioneer mixer. It is at like 10 PM.
    Bye, Maxtra.

It's a 30 minute set and you don't know the crowd, the crowd doesn't know you. There's not much you can do but play what you think is the best and hope most of them will think that too.

I'll expand.
    If it was a longer set and you started earlier, as the night evolved, you can feel out the crowd, adapting as they do.
    If you know the crowd, like in a residency, you know what a lot of your regulars like, it's a lot easier to pick for different groups as they come and go.
    If the crowd know you and are there for you, like mainstage festivals, big names doing club tours, they want to hear what you select anyways, they are there to enjoy what you're known to play.

In 30 minutes you can't adapt much.

What you play should depend on what time you're on, the flow of the event the promoters intended, who was on before you and after you. But, be true to yourself, the last thing you want to achieve is to play a load of music you don't like because it's what you think everyone loves. You'll put yourself in a bracket you don't want to be in. The few people out there who might like what you love, will think you're sh!t. You wont be doing yourself any favours. At this stage it's purely about fun so make sure you have some. Enjoy your set and remember, when thing go wrong, that's when you learn the most.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    It's a 30 minute set and you don't know the crowd, the crowd doesn't know you. There's not much you can do but play what you think is the best and hope most of them will think that too.

I'll expand.
    If it was a longer set and you started earlier, as the night evolved, you can feel out the crowd, adapting as they do.
    If you know the crowd, like in a residency, you know what a lot of your regulars like, it's a lot easier to pick for different groups as they come and go.
    If the crowd know you and are there for you, like mainstage festivals, big names doing club tours, they want to hear what you select anyways, they are there to enjoy what you're known to play.

In 30 minutes you can't adapt much.

What you play should depend on what time you're on, the flow of the event the promoters intended, who was on before you and after you. But, be true to yourself, the last thing you want to achieve is to play a load of music you don't like because it's what you think everyone loves. You'll put yourself in a bracket you don't want to be in. The few people out there who might like what you love, will think you're sh!t. You wont be doing yourself any favours. At this stage it's purely about fun so make sure you have some. Enjoy your set and remember, when thing go wrong, that's when you learn the most.
    great feedback, thumbs up!

Ive got my first ever gig booked on 9th January, I'm going to play mostly deep house/ maybe a little bit of funky/disco at the end of the set, cause its going to be a warm up set, Ill be first DJ. Iam soooo excited right now.
    Check out my channel for the best House Music! YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4VJGykhXoTOwhnW8kmHJA Mixcloud https://www.mixcloud.com/oscarsemper/
    SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/oscarsemper