Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise on 8" Passive PA speakers for home dj use

Need advise on 8" Passive PA speakers for home dj use

As the title suggests I'm looking for some advise/opinions on a pair of speakers for home dj use.

I'm looking for something that meets the following specs:

1. Must be no larger than 8" as I don't want to annoy my neighbors since I'm in an attached townhouse with shared walls on one side.
    2. Must be passive, not powered. They will be difficult to reach a power switch based on how I want to set them up and I just prefer passive.
    3. Must NOT be studio monitors. I don't like studio monitors for dj use.

Any suggestions? I was looking at the Turbosound iP82's paired with a QSC GX3 which seems to be a good match and the price is right. Turbosound is certainly a great brand but these speakers are certainly in one of their lower product lines and reviews are limited so not sure about the quality.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IP82

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GX3

Any advise/opinions would be great!

The iP boxes that I have heard sounded very good but that didn't include the 8" version. The standard in this category is the EV ZXa1 I believe.. very hi-fi sounding.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    The iP boxes that I have heard sounded very good but that didn't include the 8" version. The standard in this category is the EV ZXa1 I believe.. very hi-fi sounding.
    Yeah, I've heard good things about the ZXA1's, but they're powered and I'm looking for passive so they don't really meet my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
    Yeah, I've heard good things about the ZXA1's, but they're powered and I'm looking for passive so they don't really meet my needs.
    Just get the ZXA1's but don't plug in the power cord... viola; passive!😄 Can't get anymore passive.😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
    There's a passive zxa1...

as I don't want to annoy my neighbors
    To be honest, I would avoid using a PA at home on that factor alone.

ZX1-90 is the passive version. MAP is $ 432 per cabinet. PM me if interested.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    To be honest, I would avoid using a PA at home on that factor alone.
    I hear ya, but I don't have many options. Studio monitors sound too flat and home audio speakers might get damaged. This is why I'm going with 8" which is the smallest PA speakers I can find.

The other thing is I'm only attached on one side, I have my music room on the other side of the house as far away from the shared wall as possible, and I generally don't play past 10PM. If I do I turn it way down. Plus, my neighbor lives alone, he's out of town a lot, and he's super cool. I've told him if my music is ever too loud and bothers him to just call me or text me and let me know and I will be happy to turn it down or off. I just like to take precautions and try to be considerate.

Quote Originally Posted by BillESC View Post
    ZX1-90 is the passive version. MAP is $ 432 per cabinet. PM me if interested.
    The ZX1-90 looks nice. I would be buying from Guitar Center though so I can put them on my card.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Just get the ZXA1's but don't plug in the power cord... viola; passive!�� Can't get anymore passive.��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not even sure that would work and why pay extra for a built in amp i have no intention of using lol