Thread: Cleaning Turntables Suggestions? ( Numark TTX )

Cleaning Turntables Suggestions? ( Numark TTX )

I have a pair of Numark TTX's I first bought in 2002. Over time, the plastic all over the turntable, and underneath the platter has become sticky with dust and plastic deforming a bit. I want to know the best way to clean the turntable so it doesn't feel so sticky
    I did not want to take the whole thing apart, so was considering spraying Goo Gone all over and using a bathroom scrub brush to clean it, but I feel it might be too abrasive.

Do you all have any suggestions on how to clean your turntables, and specifically how to clean down plastic?
    If any old school TTX users are out there, would be great to hear about how you maintained the units.
    DJF Member Since '02

Hopefully Nicadraus sees this thread and can chime in and give a definitive answer. In the meantime I'll give my 2 cents.

I'd stay away from Goo Gone as it might be too aggressive on your TTs. If you can find Simple Green, id use that instead. Its much more gentle, but you may need a little more elbow grease to clean them sufficiently. Magic Eraser might do the trick too, however I'm not sure how safe they'd be on your TTs.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

I doubt it can be cleaned.
    Probably only removing the coating & repainting it with a new coating is the only way of fixing it.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

+1 on the magic eraser. Those things work wonders. I wouldn't use goo gone or degreaser... that stuff is pretty rough on plastics, and definitely don't use a hard bristled brush.

Use an actual vinyl cleaner, followed up with some meguiar's auto vinyl protectant and finish it off with a clean microfiber cloth - all can be found at an auto store. If you want to get fancy use a higher quality finish product like 303 Aerospace Protectant but you'll have to order online.

BTW
    You are talking about the black rubberized outer shell & not the gray plastic body?

Talking about the areas I am pointing to in this picture

DJF Member Since '02

Quote Originally Posted by DonRaja View Post
    Talking about the areas I am pointing to in this picture
    The top arrow is plastic.
    The bottom arrow is metal covered in a rubbery type of paint.

Myself personally, I would remove the metal shell. Remove the paint & have it repainted.

Test what you're going to clean the plastic with in a place that's under the metal shell & wait 24 hours. That way you can see if it's going to damage the plastic. If it was me, I'd just use Windex & disposable kitchen sponges. Plastic scratches fairly easily, I wouldn't use a brush or a scratch pad on it.

I don't know about that turntable, but on my Technics turntables, I just use Clorox Wipes.

Some plastics begin to desintegrate after 15 years, I doon't know if it would be worth of it trying to clean your Numarks.