Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Karaoke on the side

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Elevate View Post
    You spin for typically.. what.. 5 hours? Is expecting $350 a night unreasonable?
    $70 an hour!
    Good luck with that.

I make $25 an hour, but I'm in a small town & a low paying state.
    Since you're in San Diego, $40 or $50 an hour is probably closer to what bar DJs make.

But I have no idea what DJs in the dance clubs make. My guess would be over a hundred dollars an hour.
    Since you live in a city that probably has a lot of dance clubs, I would try there first.
    The U.S. pentagon budget consumes 80% of individual income tax revenue. The Pentagon spends more on war than all 50 states combined spend on health, education, welfare, and safety.

Thumbs up Yikes 350 for 5 Hours?

5 Hours for me is $500 if gear is supplied, if I am bringing my own its more.

Quote Originally Posted by SyncopatedSounds View Post
    5 Hours for me is $500 if gear is supplied, if I am bringing my own its more.
    Bar or club?
    The U.S. pentagon budget consumes 80% of individual income tax revenue. The Pentagon spends more on war than all 50 states combined spend on health, education, welfare, and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    $70 an hour!
    Good luck with that.

I make $25 an hour, but I'm in a small town & a low paying state.
    Since you're in San Diego, $40 or $50 an hour is probably closer to what bar DJs make.

But I have no idea what DJs in the dance clubs make. My guess would be over a hundred dollars an hour.
    Since you live in a city that probably has a lot of dance clubs, I would try there first.
    I've never played in a bar or as a resident in a club so I honestly don't know... and I kinda consider it a taboo question to ask my local DJ friends. I have a feeling from what I know though that it's probably too high for the random bar spot - I say this because I know a friend of mine was willing to take some Microsoft Store gig for $50 for the whole event (My wife is a friend of the event organizer so that's how I found out), and he's a full-time regular in the area who's been DJing for like 20 years (not an exaggeration). My mind was blown by that. To pull $70/hr in a bar here, it would probably have to be downtown. Those spots are always filled by entertainment groups/resident DJs though so you pretty much have zero chance of getting in unless someone retires/leaves or you're just so good they want you there anyway. Guess I'll never be doing that - I'll be damned if I eat up a possible gig night that pays way more to play in a bar.

Which.. now I'm curious.. why do you?

Sorry - I know I'm highjacking the thread here....

To some it is fun. This may be the wrong forum to ask this, but, how are people building there Karaoke libraries so fast and cheap? It seems to be a well know secrete between bar KJ's around here or the bars themselves. Even the worst dives have huge-awesome libraries on there computers.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Elevate View Post
    On a side note - could you fill me in on what it's like DJing bars? I've thought about it but haven't come across an opportunity yet - and I'm wondering what the pay/environment is like compared to mobile gigs.
    It's like being a loud jukebox, 80% of the time you talk you are ignored but that other 20% makes it worth it.