Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids holding up "Ls" at High School Dances?

Kids holding up "Ls" at High School Dances?

You ever run into this? I find it particularly disrespectful.

I worked with the ASB group to put together a playlist of mostly what they wanted - and I was asked to take requests. I play a requested song, and the large majority of the crowd who apparently just wants ratchet Hip-Hop (Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Pump, "Yiken", "Gas Pedal", etc.) all night just stand there holding their hands up in an L shape and look at me - apparently it's a sign to go to the next song because they don't like that one.

Not quite sure how to handle it - I almost considered putting "Barbie Girl" on repeat for the last half hour. xD I lightly expressed my point of view with the ASB adult staff, but they want to hire me again and I'm not sure how I want to handle this going forward for the next dance. Not sure if I should have a heart-to-heart and tell them to either tell their kids to be respectful of *everyone's* taste in music and not just want hip-hop all night, or to just give me a playlist/idea of what they want and I not take requests for the evening and those folks who dare want anything else will just have to suffer through the night.

I think the "Ls" stand for Loser.... kids are dumb, don't know what they want and, have a short attention span these days... either that or a large portion of high school kids think the world revolves around them. I wouldn't play shit if they were being stupid like the way you stated. Have a bouncer next time, teach them there kids a lesson!!
    (((DJF member since 06')))

Quote Originally Posted by Crushgroove View Post
    I think the "Ls" stand for Loser.... kids are dumb, don't know what they want and, have a short attention span these days... either that or a large portion of high school kids think the world revolves around them. I wouldn't play shit if they were being stupid like the way you stated. Have a bouncer next time, teach them there kids a lesson!!
    One of the kids explained it to me - they weren't saying that I'm a loser - just that they didn't like the song and wanted a change. I still found it to be highly annoying though because they did it a couple times - I even lost my temper a bit and got on the mic to politely ask them to put their hands down. You could definitely tell there was a main "clique" that only wanted Hip-Hop all night. Don't get me wrong - I like Hip-Hop. At least the real stuff and not this mumble rap garbage. I just felt bad for the kids wanted something different and it particularly irked me because I went over several reasons with the ASB why taking requests can create a bad vibe and they insisted I do it anyway - yet they didn't step in when the "cool kids" starting throwing up Ls when I started playing a requested song that wasn't Hip-Hop. I was actually relieved when a high school teacher came to me and asked me to stop the Hip-Hop because they were having some "problems" with some of the kids that were in the center of the dance crowd. One of the more annoying individuals almost immediately came up to me after I quickly switched from Hip-Hop to Dance and I had to contain my smile when I told him that they were trumped by the school staff.
    Last edited by DJ Elevate; 11-09-2017 at 02:45 PM.

When I used to play kids events, one of my requirements put in the contract was the host/coordinator (not sure what your calling ASB) to have the kids make a list of music they wanted to hear prior to the event (actually at least 4 weeks prior to), then the host would have to go over the list & approve EVERY song on that list to be played. The host (& if a school event, the principal) would have to sign the list stating the entire lists approval as appropriate for THEIR school/students (every school & kids event is different). Once approved, I make sure that I have every clean version of every song (if possible) & ONLY those songs are played & if the kids want to make requests, the request MUST be chosen from the approved list.

That's the way I did it & the terms were in the contract & signed by the client/host. Its this way or I dont play the event.

I also put the number of required chaperones required for me to play the event in the contract. Take it or get someone else.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Elevate View Post
    just stand there holding their hands up in an L shape and look at me - apparently it's a sign to go to the next song because they don't like that one.
    The little darlings are all about me me me now now now. I have catered for quite a few, and some of those have an attitude about music, anything older than 6 months is just well,... Old apparently.

Ask them if you look like a juke box. Just hold up a sign with a sign that says requests are $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    The little darlings are all about me me me now now now. I have catered for quite a few, and some of those have an attitude about music, anything older than 6 months is just well,... Old apparently.

Ask them if you look like a juke box. Just hold up a sign with a sign that says requests are $100.

Haha yeah the sad part was that a) it wasn't that old of a song, and b) it was a good song request. I guess "Give Love" by Andy Grammer was just too positive a message and we needed to get back to money, chains, drugs, and f#$kin' b#$@hes. "Yiken" - released in 2015, was requested several times.

EDIT - Re-reading this post... I realize I'm getting old.. xD
    Last edited by DJ Elevate; 11-10-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Oh - I thought ASB was pretty standard - at least nowadays... I don't think we had them in my school.

ASB = Associated Student Body. They're made up of students who coordinate all events for the school. They're like.... promoters in training. Whenever I do high school dances it's the ASB I'm interacting with to work on playlist, etc.

It's just kids being kids with an attitude. Sometimes it takes them a while to realise they just don't run the party...

Today cRap music just plain sucks... That is all.
    Raising the bar...
    http://www.channelliveproductions.com/
    Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

They're telling you to take the L (take the loss)... It's because they're trying to say your music sucks and perhaps you're not a good DJ. Obviously you can be a great DJ but if your music doesn't appeal to the crowd, to them you suck. What Dixie suggest you do is a good idea but if you dont play what's new (a few months old) and "hot", they won't like you. It's really disrespectful of the kids to do that but kids will be kids. These days they're all snowflakes so if they don't have something their way, they'll throw a fit.