Thread: Make song or remix a song

Hybrid View

Make song or remix a song

Hey guys,

I'm a starting producer, what i use to produce is FL Studio 12. But what is the best thing to start with? Start with remix tracks or making tracks?

There isn't the best thing that applies to anyone or everyone, try both and see what you feel comfortable doing.

Ok thanks!

Remixing gives you an idea of how a track is put together, and gives you an idea of why a person does what that person does in a track.

Making a track is far harder, especially if you write it yourself (and not use loops and samples). But making a track is far more rewarding, and you can make your own sound vs remaking the sounds of others.

If I remember correctly the early versions of FL Studio didn't have wav import feature (or recording) which is why it wasn't really popular in professional use (when it comes to remixing)

Regarding where to start from; it depends on your sample library, VSTs and a bunch of other stuff such as instruments and the genre..

If you have access to multitracks/stems then I'd suggest you should go for a remix and remove the original bits one after another as you get better. There are very artistic remixes out there (instrumentation, chord progression and melody-wise), as well as very straight-forward ones.. french/filter house is a fine example of this, where one would add a kick drum and bass line on top of a band-passed and sidechained 4-bar loop.

Personally if I was just starting out I would try to remix an existing track based on what I'm hearing. This way makes it a bit easier to get used to the DAW and replicate melodies/bass-lines/percussion/etc.. Its good practice and good learning for creating your own stuff.