Thread: Guitar playing father needs help

Guitar playing father needs help

Hello everyone. I tried searching but couldn’t find an answer to my questions. Like the title states I am a dad looking to get my kid set up with a (vinyl) rig for Christmas. I am looking to get 2 - lp120’s and a mixer of course. My questions are 1) should I purchase the nox101 or the Numark M2? 2) Which rekkids should I be digging for to start his collection? I have a ton of jazz,funk, and soul but I don’t want him using mine. Ha! Are there specific titles that are good for beginners to start beat matching etc? Thanks for any and all advice.

Shane

I take it you mean two Audio-Technica LP120 record players?
    If so that's a good record player for DJing.

The Behringer NOX101 & the Numark M2 on the other hand are not very good. But between those two, I would choose Numark simply because the brand Behringer has a worse track record with DJ mixers.

You'll be better off spending more on the mixer & getting something like an Allen & Heath XONE:23 or a Pioneer DJM-250MK2. Or a good used Rane mixer.
    The U.S. pentagon budget consumes 80% of individual income tax revenue. The Pentagon spends more on war than all 50 states combined spend on health, education, welfare, and safety.

Buying records for mixing purposes is an expensive business in the long term.
    However, DJs often use a DVS system [read up on it via the internet/youtube] so they can mix their MP3 collection.
    MP3s are much cheaper than records and easier to get hold of.

Of course a DVS system requires some investment (few hundred quid, and a computer to run it if you haven't got one already). But the investment soon pays off in the medium term.

And I concur with the view of Windows 95. Spending a bit more on a mixer, or finding a decent one second hand, is a better proposal than buying the cheapest possible mixer.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

A DVS would be nice, but probably cost too much for now.

There are still thrift shops & a few garage sales that have vinyl records. Just take your kid to someplace with a lot of old records every week or every month with $5, $10, or $20. And let them build their own record collection.

Later if your kid is still into DJing, you can buy a DVS.
    The U.S. pentagon budget consumes 80% of individual income tax revenue. The Pentagon spends more on war than all 50 states combined spend on health, education, welfare, and safety.

Thank you for your help guys I went with the Pioneer 250MK2. It comes with Reckordbox. He'll start off with the real stuff and then he'll get the control vinyl soon. Thanks again.

Good choice!
    Glad to be of help.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Great setup, good choice on the mixer.