Thread: Important EU lighting legislation change petition

Important EU lighting legislation change petition

interesting
    im sure this would affect the movie industry too, as far as I know the larger lights cannot be replaced by LED because its not possible to make LED that powerful
    I also feel that LED doesnt look as rich as tungsten.

It's crazy. I have no idea where they got their logic.

If it does include movies, i'd of expected them to of drummed up more support by now... but, it's the EU, not USA, Hollywood, the support would be off the scale already. Even if it didn't include the movie industry (which it must) it still would be very bad for them. Lamp prices would sky rocket due to smaller production runs. They last so long too.

Surely the cost to replace would be more damaging to the environment in energy consumption, than the cost of use. These things are extremely well engineered, expensive pieces of equipment. Yes, they use a lot of power but it's not like a shopping mall lit up all day.

The support is rolling in today though.

Tungsten and Arc light bulbs would rapidly become unavailable.
    The EU does not have any power of telling other non EU countries (i e China, Japan) to not build replacement bulbs last time I checked. The EU has ruled out things like regular consumer incandescent bulbs and higher power hoovers etc, but you can still buy these if you know where to look.

I believe LED and SMD technology will improve further in the near future, and the car industry is starting to roll out efficient LED lighting, that stuff can be applied to a stage. Regarding costs, I reckon people should innstead the EU to help subsidise the transition, because it will happen whether in the long or short term.

That said it doesn't make much sense, when you consider they're aiming to stop combustion engine production by 2040. This would lead to a massive increase in people charging their cars every day, and a huge surge of power consumption all across the grid.

Last but not least, it shouldn't affect the UK if brexit goes ahead, or will it....
    Last edited by Manu; 05-07-2018 at 09:32 AM.

The problem isn't that the new rules target stage lighting. It's the wording leaves out this kind of lighting from exemption, as it did in the past. In many other cases, like shopping malls, old fixtures can easily have new lamps dropped in place, the EU seems to think the same would happen in stage but it simply wont. They've over looked the reality of the stage world, with generic rules for all.

https://www.ald.org.uk/sites/default...mer14Apr18.pdf

Here's the summary from the 8 page doc.

1. New regulations proposed for September 2020 will impose a minimum efficiency of 85 lumens per watt and a maximum standby power of 0.5W on all light sources (lamps or self-contained fixtures) to be sold in the EU.

2. The existing version of these regulations includes an exemption for stage lighting. The new regulations do not (though they do include exemptions for video projection, and suggest an exemption for stage lighting that appears to have mis-understood the light levels/power requirements of most theatrical lighting fixtures).

3. No tungsten fixtures meet this requirement. Many LED-based entertainment fixtures do not meet those requirements. After September 2020 no new stocks of such equipment can be supplied to the market in the EU.

4. Manufacturers suggest that the limits of optical design and LED efficiency mean that they will not be able to create certain types of fixtures that do meet the requirements by September 2020.

5. Nothing in the rules stops you from using existing fixtures. But bulbs can’t be supplied to market and once you can’t get new bulbs, existing fixtures become worthless – effectively scrap. It is unknown how long existing stocks of bulbs will remain available.

6. Replacing your existing fixtures might well mean replacing your entire dimming and control infrastructure.

7. All this for power savings that might be relatively small, given the way entertainment lighting is typically used, and will likely be far outweighed by the scrap created and the energy required to manufacture and distribute new fixtures.

8. Important tools from a lighting designer’s toolkit will be lost within the EU, some forever.

9. This will dramatically affect performance venues and productions of all types and scales, including new and existing (longrunning, long-standing rep) productions.

10. There are very few precedents for technologies to be banned if they are not unsafe to use

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    The EU does not have any power of telling other non EU countries (i e China, Japan) to not build replacement bulbs last time I checked.
    It's covered in the doc. These imports would lose the CE stamp, this could void insurances etc.

Yes very good point indeed. It smells like a matter of crossing fingers and hope the EU men sitting behind desks will take it into account and modify the text. As far as I know, they're pushing a lot for "greener" energy spending, so to speak... This has backfired within the automotive industry, when a few companies have been caught cheating the emissions regulations mostly because they could not meet the requirements.