Thread: Tables with external audio interface?

Question Tables with external audio interface?

Hi all! So i am just about to embark on my journey into DJing....DJ-ing....Deejaying??? haha thats how new i am! but anyways i have a studio kind of half ass set up in my room already with a fully built gaming PC, KRK Rokit 5's, and a scarlett 2i2 external audio interface. I just ordered a mixtrack pro 3. It hasn't arrived yet but im just trying to work out the kinks with any info you guys have on the subject BEFORE i have to figure it out on my own. I have watched countless videos on setup, but none of them have any info on working with an audio interface. I know it has its own sound card in the mixtrack pro but i would like to have it work with my pc, interface, and not have to unplug my xlr cables out of my krk's every time i want to mix. Is there a way around this? can i just leave the rca's from the mixtrack plugged into the rokits when im not mixing and leave them hanging so i can just plug the mixtrack into them when i feel like it? I have no interest in recording a mix straight into my DAW or anything so im wondering if the scarlett would help me or just get in the way while mixing. Any input is GREATLY appreciated!

Sounds like your idea of being a DJ is half assed. Your gaming computer is now a DJ rig, so get used to it. Running audio is different than games. read up on the difference, it's important. The speakers will get you by, but don't really mean much with virgin ears. Meaning, any speakers will do.

You need a simple line mixer or adequate inputs on a dj mixer. Do this. Computer USB ---> Mixtrack, Mixtrack Audio Out ---> Channel 1 on DJ Mixer, DJ Mixer Output ---> Speakers. Then go. Computer USB ---> Scarlett, Scarlett Audio Out ---> Channel 2 on DJ mixer. Then switch between the Mixtrack and the Scarlett by right clicking the speaker icon on the bottom right of the screen if using windows.

Hope this helps.

ok update. just got it shipped, unboxed it, found out my dumbass bought the mixtrack 3 (non pro). so there aren't any inputs or outputs on the mixer BUT it works out because i already have the focusrite as an external sound card and can just plug headphones straight in and change the settings in virtual dj to have 2 outputs. a little bummed i didn't pay attention to what i was ordering fully because i was hoping to get serato which comes with the pro version. but virtual will work for now while i am learning. Thanks for the quick reply max! i will take that into consideration if i ever decide to get a nicer mixer.

I think that you made the right purchase. The sound interface in the MixTrack Pro 3 isn't as good as your other interface. I would have suggested using your scarlett 2i2 anyway!

Enjoy!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Hey KLH. i know they should work well together im just having trouble using the scarlett for cuing??! i have my headphones plugged in to the scarlett and in virtual dj i have the output set to speaker and headphones. i also have the card option set to two soundcards with the speakers being on output 1&2 and headphones to 3&4 but i still cant hear the song im trying to cue. i press the little headphone button on the mixtrack with the deck volume all the way down, cue mix knob turned all the way to cue, and the cue gain all the way to max. I must have something set wrong in the settings but i cant figure it out for the life of me. and even if i have the headphone button turned on the only way i can hear it is if i turn the deck volume up...but then it still comes out of my speakers?! so confused... plz halp

pretty sure i just need to get another usb sound card. i think i have a dragonfly laying around somewhere. thatd probably work for my needs. but if i want to take this shit to parties or anything i need a 2i4 or better i guess. i assumed the headphone jack was an output on its own channel(s) but i assumed wrong. itll work for production purposes but not for mixing

ok for anyone that may have stumbled across this same situation, i figured out that my soundcard in my pc got disabled automatically when i installed the drivers for my 2i2. so i simply went into the control panel and enabled it (mine said realtek) and then i went into virtual dj's audio settings, two sound cards, channels one and two set to master with the focusrite, and then channels one and two set to my internal sound card (realtek) and wa-la! plugged my headphones directly into my computer and bam i can cue now. cant believe i went this whole time without looking at the control panel but ya im glad i didn't go out and buy a 2i4. i was so close to running up to guitar center and dropping a couple hundo.