Thread: Getting started

Getting started

For the last couple years since i got into electronic music i've wanted to give djing a go as a part time hobby, now i'm at uni i think it's time to start

I've been looking for the last couple of weeks for a cheap used controller to try it out with, and i've decided on either the mixtrack pro 2 or 3 from CeX, coming out at 90 or 105 respectively, if you guys have any other suggestions for controllers i'm open.

Also, i've already got a desktop pc, a laptop and some m-audio av32 monitors and ATHM30x headphones so i don't think i need to buy anything else there. I'm mainly looking at basic mixing with trap music, maybe a little bit of everything else thrown in (grime, house, dnb, then the odd classic)

However, i've got 2 main problems, firstly software as it's very expensive ontop of the controller cost, and also what to use as a music library. From my research apparently new versions of virtual dj have spotify integration, as i've got premium this seems like it'd be the best option, otherwise i've got no ideas

Anyone able to give me some advice

I started my controller days in virtual DJ. I got a numark ns6 and got into serato. My controller died and had to cop another one. I didn't want to get a super top end one - I don't really use any of the extra features.

Virtual DJ is a good starter.

I use iTunes to manage my music - I am a mobile DJ and have to play all types of music so I must have a way to manage it all. Serato has iTunes integration. I am in a record pool and get tons of new music every month. I don't think I would have the same integration ability with spotify.

If you don't need much more tracks than spotify might work, but from my experience, with the free version anyway, finding new music is a bit limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Applicable View Post
    I started my controller days in virtual DJ. I got a numark ns6 and got into serato. My controller died and had to cop another one. I didn't want to get a super top end one - I don't really use any of the extra features.

Virtual DJ is a good starter.

I use iTunes to manage my music - I am a mobile DJ and have to play all types of music so I must have a way to manage it all. Serato has iTunes integration. I am in a record pool and get tons of new music every month. I don't think I would have the same integration ability with spotify.

If you don't need much more tracks than spotify might work, but from my experience, with the free version anyway, finding new music is a bit limited.
    Hey, yeh i've got a spotify premium subscription, and tons of music on spotify.

I just want to do this as a hobby and therefore I want to only have to make a 1 time investment for a few years, out of interest how did you build up a library on itunes, it seems way too expensive to me without downloading low quality rips

Quote Originally Posted by Billy4299 View Post
    Hey, yeh i've got a spotify premium subscription, and tons of music on spotify.

I just want to do this as a hobby and therefore I want to only have to make a 1 time investment for a few years, out of interest how did you build up a library on itunes, it seems way too expensive to me without downloading low quality rips
    I have been in a couple record pools for all my non-EDM tracks for about a year now.

For EDM I have and still am transferring my vinyl to mp3. I also use beatport because of the beatport pro app.

Mixtrack pro 3 issue

I'm looking into buying the mixtrack pro 3 from CeX, coming out at 105,

after looking on amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Numark-Mixt...mixtrack+pro+3
    theres 2 versions of the controller, one with an audio interface, and one without, i assume the used one i'm buying comes without, i'm a bit confused what i actually need to buy now, i've got headphones and speakers already but, if i need an audio interface too would i be better buying a ddj-sb for 165 ??

You'll need an audio interface. So if the controller doesn't have one, you'll need to buy one.
    On the used market, it's usually cheaper to get a controller that comes with a built in audio interface.

The DDJ-SB is nice. But I would only get a controller that comes with Serato DJ if you're using an Intel computer. (Serato DJ is hit & miss with AMD computers.)
    The U.S. pentagon budget consumes 80% of individual income tax revenue. The Pentagon spends more on war than all 50 states combined spend on health, education, welfare, and safety.

threads merged and moved to beginners. Please use the beginners forum for such questions in the future.