Thread: Connecting Active Yamaha Monitors To A Mac SIMPLE VOLUME OPTION?

Connecting Active Yamaha Monitors To A Mac SIMPLE VOLUME OPTION?

Building a small studio / office space in new premises. Nothing PRO just some practical acoustics where possible and sound deadening just to do some simple voiceovers and bits and pieces. So acquired a pair of HS8 Monitors for Free I was going to buy new KRK but here we go. So there will be more questions down the track Mics etc, but first want these monitors hooked up to the mac.

I could use my Never used Denon X1700 mixer as the go between seems a little out of place for the moment.

Was looking at something like this

https://www.storedj.com.au/mackie-bi...tor-controller

Basically whats the easiest way to hook them up. I prefer linking the speakers with the XLR lead to this MAGIC box that you will advise me on that will plug into the computer. I KNOW the default sound card is not YAY but It could do just to start with but if there are some half decent I/O box things that would be better let me know. Don't want to spend ridiculous figures but a nice solid volume knob and perhaps some VU display would be a dream come true. I see Apogee do some awesome gear but probably not quite in the budget YET. Working on some other projects I hope to share with you in the new year. All advice warmly received.
    OP

You said it! Plug it in to the Denon. You want good sound right? I use multiple computers through a Xone 92. Hooked up to 2700 watts of sound. It doesn't get much better than that my friend. That $159 waste of money will not sound good and you could buy another piece of gear for that cost. Hell, you could buy me the Nektar Impact LX49+ Keyboard for $159.99 on Amazon, just for hooking you up with spot on honest advice. I got the .99 cents. Hook up the mixer and don't look back, you owe it to your ears.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HZWL64O...=3RBO25UVK416T

Really. Well I guess its just I have some space to put in a rack down the track but really don't have the spare cash at the moment to fill it and who knows what it will bring. I will admit the X1700 is a my favourite mixer I have a DJM2000 on my main mobile rig and my other DJ rigs for the other guys and girls are just the 900 and they are very good, The X1700 ended up being surplus after another project but nothing feels quite as good when DJING however Studio seems overkill? But I guess your right. Ok well that part of the build is almost another 8-12 months away but just keeping all optioins open in case I spot a bargain. The reason I got the HS8 free apart from helping someone out was also that while they are in original boxes etc one of them has a damaged TRS connection hence why I was just going to stick with XLR. At the moment it just lives in the flight case so might need to find a way to have it on a crane stand or have cabinet maker create a cut panel it can sit or something. hence why rack and desk options seemed space friendly.
    OP

It seems to me that you don't really need any sort of mixer or monitor switcher box since you've got one computer and one set of monitors .. and you want to connect the one to the other.. Then just get yourself a decent USB sound interface, for example I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 it sells for $150 ish and has balanced TRS outputs that can connect to your monitor XLR inputs with a volume control. Also two XLR mic inputs w/ phantom power and a headphone jack with its own volume control plus a switch for direct (zero latency) monitoring. There are def more expensive and more fancy things you could get, but that's all you really need for voiceovers.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    It seems to me that you don't really need any sort of mixer or monitor switcher box since you've got one computer and one set of monitors .. and you want to connect the one to the other.. Then just get yourself a decent USB sound interface, for example I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 it sells for $150 ish and has balanced TRS outputs that can connect to your monitor XLR inputs with a volume control. Also two XLR mic inputs w/ phantom power and a headphone jack with its own volume control plus a switch for direct (zero latency) monitoring. There are def more expensive and more fancy things you could get, but that's all you really need for voiceovers.
    +1. Sell that Denon Mixer if you're never going to use it. Use the money to get a nice sound card and that's it. You're Done.
    This signature has been censored. - PCWO

Quote Originally Posted by Max Portland View Post
    You said it! Plug it in to the Denon. You want good sound right? I use multiple computers through a Xone 92. Hooked up to 2700 watts of sound. It doesn't get much better than that my friend. That $159 waste of money will not sound good and you could buy another piece of gear for that cost. Hell, you could buy me the Nektar Impact LX49+ Keyboard for $159.99 on Amazon, just for hooking you up with spot on honest advice. I got the .99 cents. Hook up the mixer and don't look back, you owe it to your ears.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HZWL64O...=3RBO25UVK416T
    Won't sound good? That Denon does nothing to improve the sound. You're comparing a DJ mixer to a studio monitor mixer. Completely different types of equipment. That's like suggesting someone use their CDJ 2000 as a cd player in their car audio setup.
    This signature has been censored. - PCWO

Well I collected my Numark output box from the Mackintosh into a mini mixer to my active monitors. I thought I was going to be recording some port of keyboards and drum machines but as it turned out they didn't fit into my project but warning warning warning....
    If you connect your computer straight into the speakers 1 crunch and you're looking at a pair of dead monitors for instance the logic compressor plugins if you hit that -12 or zero decibel box by mistake it Peaks and then what if you accidentally push the main volume up it's going to blow your speakers. at least if you was using a mixer you had half a chance that the volume was down but directly connecting I wouldn't do that. Having said that the compressor did go crunch a couple of times and my monitors were unharmed.

MMM Great suggestions and That last one is something to consider not that I would be layering on advanced studio software I/O . Yes the Denon Mixer will live in its coffin and just keep getting hired out as required.
    Looking at this:
    https://ask.audio/articles/the-esi-m...ume-controller

Has exactly what I am looking for but was hoping for a VU dance of colour on there, that's a picky thing but the simplicity of this is good. I agree jumping up to the 1500+ mark and having a USB I/O interface with computer is the way to go and will end up there in time but at the moment this volume controller option is just some functionality and simplicity rather than what we have now. YES I am aware without pure digital we will probably not be cracking the performance the monitors could deliver but it is what it is for now.

XLR because one of the monitors has a problematic TRS connection so Iam told (not tested yet) and rather not do an adapter unless no other options to explore.

This one ticks boxes and just has one question:
    https://www.frontendaudio.com/TC-Ele...9999-06673.htm
    Could I still just plug an Analog Red white RCA input in the back and still end up with a result or is it all digital?

TA
    OP

NOTE:
    Thank you for your patience.
    Unfortunately no, The BMC-2 only accepts digital inputs (SPDIF, ADAT and TOS). You would need to run your RCA cable into a AD converter then into the BMC-2.
    I can only apologise for any inconvenience.
    For now I will close this case but if you require anything else, please respond directly to this email which will reopen the case.

I BOUGHT THE ESI MOCO SEE WHAT HAPPENS
    Last edited by wapples; 11-21-2017 at 05:09 AM. Reason: ADDITIONAL