Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What lights do you recomend?

Quote Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post
    I agree with most here, start with wash /up lights. Since your budget is less than what I spend taking my family out to eat, cheap china knock offs from eBay should work. Later on buy a 3 or 4 channel DMX controller ($30) to have more control of those cheapies. With $200 you may get like 6 of them directly from China. I suggest the ADJ RGB3C controller or the Chauvet Obey3.
    The cheapo's are just OK, biggest issue is that there is no power linking, so he needs to budget for some cordage as well. They aren't very bright either, price wise they are about $55 for 4 on EBAY. Operation of them is decent, but I had one lock up on me during my son's wedding, so all of my others were running from the controller as expected, and one of them under the speaker stand/skrim was stuck on a violet-ish color. Annoyed me, but I was having fun so I never messed with it.

From a controller perspective that adds a lot to someone just getting started. I have 2 controllers, a Chauvet DMX-50, and a Chinese knockoff from EBAY for $35. The knockoff works fine for basic PARS, but DMX programming adds a whole layer of complexity. I've also become fairly proficient at FreeStyler, but it has taken quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
    The cheapo's are just OK, biggest issue is that there is no power linking, so he needs to budget for some cordage as well. They aren't very bright either, price wise they are about $55 for 4 on EBAY. Operation of them is decent, but I had one lock up on me during my son's wedding, so all of my others were running from the controller as expected, and one of them under the speaker stand/skrim was stuck on a violet-ish color. Annoyed me, but I was having fun so I never messed with it.

From a controller perspective that adds a lot to someone just getting started. I have 2 controllers, a Chauvet DMX-50, and a Chinese knockoff from EBAY for $35. The knockoff works fine for basic PARS, but DMX programming adds a whole layer of complexity. I've also become fairly proficient at FreeStyler, but it has taken quite a while.
    Spot on Tulsa. I had a knock off that quickly failed. But you get what you pay for. The power linking is one thing I forgot. But you wanna know something that sucks is ADJ uses IEC cords while Chauvet uses regular 3 holed Edisons which is economical in my opinion. As for the controller, the original poster looks like a newbie so it will be in a couple years when he decides to spend any money on name brand effect lights so a $29.99 ADJ RGB3C controller is a good start. Then later a Chauvet Obey 10 ($99) or an Obey 40 ($199) are good choices. Your controller is better than my Chauvet Obey 10, but I use it to control only 2 fixtures.

However when $$$$$$ comes anyone's way, I suggest the Chauvet Freedom Pars with the Flare Con WiFi transmitter. I have 9 of them and its easy as shooting fish in a barrel. Recharge, place on floor, turn on the Flare Con transmitter, Switch your phone's wifi to Chauvet, open Flare Con app....and you are done! Control colors and even switch to sound active during the dancing. Turn phone back to wifi, turn off Flare Con transmitter, turn off the Freedom Pars and put away in a tote....and done! Then pack up the rest of your gear and you have a smile on your face.
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

EDIT: the only downside to using the FlareCon app on your phone is that you wont be able to access the internet during your gig and if you change your wifi setting on your phone, the Flare Con transmitter may need to be reset. But its only 2017, Chauvet may do a software update later. Practice and Conqueor
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

Edit: I now realise the error in my ways. To which i already knew the issue. Please accept my apologies.

After seeing a recent video on facebook and the supporting comments against those pointing out how bad it was... I was reminded of how some people lack the understanding why a cluster f^(£ of random coloured beams is bad, an assault on the eyes, not pleasurable and quite aggressive.

From now on I too will advise wash/pars, it's a compromise that has to be made to counter those who think as they do. They can't be let loose with FX lights, even at a simple level with only a few.

Noted. I've just started playing with it and an Entric USB to DMX.

Just got my first dimmer pack in, today. Seems to be a good combo sofar!

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    Noted. I've just started playing with it and an Entric USB to DMX.

Just got my first dimmer pack in, today. Seems to be a good combo sofar!
    It's fairly easy to learn once you get the flow. I've been able to create my own fixture files as well. The wiki has a lot of great info.

It's fairly easy to learn once you get the flow. I've been able to create my own fixture files as well. The wiki has a lot of great info.
    I'm just hoping to map individual lights to a midi fader, and perhaps map out colors/strobe as well for some of the led stuff.

Kinda hard to play around with, not having the fixtures on hand as I rent in usually.

First foray into the lampie realm, I'm usually just in audio.

Gobo stinger just automatic is perfect. You can also plug dmx. But both works perfect. not even a 200 euros. In dollars cant tell you

Washes or a multi fx piece like the chauvet swarm or ADJ Stinger 2 they are a 4 in 1 unit. Wash moonflower laser and uv or white was depending on specific model.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was looking for moving head recommendations and noticed in this thread that no one mentioned the Chauvet DJ Gigbar 2.0. It's above your budget at $500, but for what it is, it is one of the best bang-for-the-buck products out there... I'd save up and start with that as it works for almost any kind of gig.

From there I've expanded to a pair of them, and am now adding uplighting and starting to look at moving heads for FX.