Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DJ vs Production to begin with

Windows 95 - your math is off. There is 2000 workable hours a year. You do the math. Thats a 9-5 job. Totaling 2.5 years.

Irrelevant to the thread.

I said please keep on topic, last warning.

Post moderated - Manu

__________________________________________________ ___

Quote Originally Posted by Max Portland View Post
    Manu - I spoke from experience. I didn't steal your idea or point a finger at you. I have 15k hours behind the decks, and if this was my little brother asking me I'd say the same thing to him too. Next time I wont tell you you have a booger in your nose.

That's cute. I have 28+ years of DJing behind me and a lifetime behind music equipment, so I don't need you to tell me what's in my nose. You have been warned of going off topic already, this thread is not about you.

posts deleted + infraction issued. Keep on topic or get some time out.

Manu

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    Last edited by Manu; 10-24-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: *puts finger in nose just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Max Portland View Post
    Windows 95 - your math is off. There is 2000 workable hours a year. You do the math. Thats a 9-5 job. Totaling 2.5 years.
    The vast majority of people don't spend 8 hours a day learning one thing. 30 minutes to 180 minutes a day is probably more normal. (Which is why I picked 2 hours a day as an example.) And experience is not the same as learning. I've been tying my shoes for 50 years, but I haven't been learning to tie my shoes since I was 5. Granted I got better at it as I got older. (But I've also gotten worse at it as I've aged, because of my arthritis.)

In my opinion, if you're not trying to be a turntablist. DJing should be easier to learn than producing for most people. That's why I recommended starting with production first. But as others have pointed out, trying both a DJ software & a DAW to see which you prefer is also a good idea. It lets you see which you prefer. And you're more likely to keep pursuing something the more you like it.

Free Ableton Live
    https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/

Free Virtual DJ
    https://www.virtualdj.com/download/index.html
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Great advice. I always say any advice is good advice. So thank you all.

I have been tinkering about with virtual DJ and FL studio. Had a mess around on a friends DDJ SX2 (pioneer) and that was also quite daunting stuff! Was a bit too much to take in in 30mins but definitely need to be able to do some DJing and basic mixing as well as production stuff. For me I think production is the main passion so will focus on that using FL studio and see how I progress. I've recently got a traktor s2 cheap off ebay so will practice with that on Virtual DJ (a bit), Traktor (to see if I prefer this to Virtual DJ) and Serato (if the first two still fail me!).

Ableton I literally had no idea where to begin with that. Seemed very complex - but no doubt simpler once you learn the basics.

Good tip re: learning piano. But is it truly necessary? I mean trial n error will surely make you realise what note sounds like what? I think FL has a piano on it and i could buy a MIDI piano for FL studio too I believe?

Traktor S2 arrives thurs so stay tuned for an update on the DJing side of things!
    Last edited by MDU; 10-24-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDU View Post
    learning piano. But is it truly necessary? I mean tril n error will surely make you realise what note sounds like what? I think FL has a piano on it and i could buy a MIDI piano for FL studio too I believe?
    Correct on both accounts.
    You don't need to know how to play piano, it just makes the process quicker & easier if you do.
    And yes you can hook up a midi keyboard to any DAW.

Something like an used Akai MPK Mini shouldn't be very expensive. (They tend to be about $50 or less in the USA.)
    1:33

Although if you don't know how to play piano, 4x4 trigger pads are probably easier than a keyboard.

Something like an used Akai MPD26 also shouldn't be very expensive. (They tend to be about $50 or less in the USA.)
    1:29
    Last edited by Windows 95; 10-24-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Yes a little midi keyboard is always highly recommended, and simple ones can be found for cheap enough. Purely because as opposed to having to draw notes by hand, which is extremely tedious on top of slowing down your flow of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Correct on both accounts.
    You don't need to know how to play piano, it just makes the process quicker & easier if you do.
    And yes you can hook up a midi keyboard to any DAW.

Something like an used Akai MPK Mini shouldn't be very expensive. (They tend to be about $50 or less in the USA.)
    1:33

Although if you don't know how to play piano, 4x4 trigger pads are probably easier than a keyboard.

Something like an used Akai MPD26 also shouldn't be very expensive. (They tend to be about $50 or less in the USA.)
    1:29
    Nice clips! I like the idea of that. Particularly the pads on their own. Almost like being a kid in a toy shop/ musical instrument shop and playing around with sounds to make music... Although I admit some musical (note) knowledge will be needed for melodies that make musical sense, so a small keyboard is vital in that respect. And yes for speed too as Manu states!

Are these usually for ableton only or will they work in to any DAW? I see a few actually state "ableton ready" etc.

p.s. had a quick look on ebay and nothing around the £40 mark here in the UK! lol

Quote Originally Posted by MDU View Post
    Are these usually for ableton only or will they work in to any DAW? I see a few actually state "ableton ready" etc.
    They work with any.
    When a specific DAW is mentioned, that just means it's pre-mapped for that DAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    They work with any.
    When a specific DAW is mentioned, that just means it's pre-mapped for that DAW.
    Thanks for the info.

So i have my Traktor s2 but waiting for some phono cables to arrive now!

Is it worth buying a set of Mackies or Alesis active speakers? Will my Onkyo AV system be ok? Perhaps buy a yamaha stereo amplifier and hook up my Castle floor standing speakers I already have just collecting dust? What would be the best option? I know speakers are going to set me back around £100-150 per pair minimum and an amp would be a bit more (up to £200 budget) but I'd be able to use high end speakers this way (Castle acoustics)