Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to transistion

Hybrid View

How to transistion

If you are playing pop songs, do you just let one end then play the next? Not sure what to do for parties and events.

Not really, I feel like it'd get boring that way. You should try transitioning about 50-75% through the songs.

You rehearse and try out combinations. There are many ways to make transitions, not just the itunes list style.

can any tutorials on it or examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gman View Post
    can any tutorials on it or examples?

Using words you have used in this thread...

"DJ transition tutorial"

Search YouTube using that phrase, you'll be amazed.
    Last Night A BJ Choked My Wife - What did she expect, I was Indeep.

I think any good DJ knows that Pop is difficult because there are vocals pretty much all the way through from start to finish - and often times they annoyingly start just before the 1 so it's obvious if you just try to cutover. There are several ways to address this:

* Create your own, or get edits of these tracks that add an 8-bar intro of just filler beat. Start the intro at any point where it makes sense, and on the final bar before the song starts echo out, backspin, etc. the song you're ending and boom - you're on to the next track.

* At the end of the hook, slowly and gradually high pass filter the final bar while lowering the volume and while simultaneously starting the next track at a point that makes sense. You'll have a split second of overlapping vocals but it'll be far from a trainwreck and as long as they are matching keys it usually comes out sounding pretty good.

It's really a hard question to answer being that it all depends on the songs you're trying to mix, and when, and how.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gman View Post
    If you are playing pop songs, do you just let one end then play the next? Not sure what to do for parties and events.
    The obvious solution is to play less pop songs but other than that, what Elevate said. In time you'll learn to feel it.

There are record pools that have intros of just a flat beat so you can mix in the track and then switch before the other track ends.

Also, it depends on where you are playing. I am a mobile DJ and play at weddings, so cutting half of a pop song out will throw the dance floor for a loop because they know and love the track you are playing and getting down to it. I play the whole track, but mix in right as the first track ends it last vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Applicable View Post
    so cutting half of a pop song out will throw the dance floor for a loop because they know and love the track you are playing and getting down to it.
    Yes, it all depends but I wouldn't say cutting a track would throw a dance floor. When it's done right it builds the dance floor. No one needs to hear the last verse of Jump Around House of Pain, there's a little instrumental section before it, Shake That Arse fits perfectly over the top of it. No one needs to hear the last verse of Shake That Arse. Both big party songs. Where as Be faithful has more good bits towards the end, so cutting it will remove that experience.

I agree. Some songs people want to hear it all, some you can cut. I guess it all depends on the track.