Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Mixer Recommendation?

Depends on how many inputs you need vs how much capability you need on each vs how much vertical rack space you can afford to take up....

When you say you might need to mix a band some time, to ME that says a mixer that has at least 8 mic inputs and 3 band EQ.. and sweepable mids would be great.. and you can have all that for fairly low money, by getting a mixer that is made to mainly sit flat then rack mounting it.. and it'll take a LOT of space. Or you can pay a bunch of money and get something like an Ashley MX508 But if you don't have too much need to do real mixing except in a pinch, then the Denon mentioned will do it.. personally I hate Denon.. so maybe I'd prefer an Alesis Multimix 10 or 12R. Don't love that either, but it's acceptable. Of course Behringer makes one........ Unfortunately most buyers of rack mixers with EQ's are pro audio users who are willing to pay a lot of money for something nice.. so not too many nice middle of the road choices for this one....
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 10-24-2017 at 12:59 AM.

A used Xone 92 or Xone 62. 4 Band EQ. 6 Channels. Rack Mountable. Analogue Heaven.

You gonna need about Tree Fiddy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Heath...EAAOSw7ylZ3l0F

The xone 92 isn't even remotely appropriate for what he's doing.

Yeah you ain't mixing a band with something that small, I have a 16ch that is just barely enough for a small 4 piece but it fills a 14u rack. If you want that kind of capability in fewer rack spaces then you have to go digital with something like a Behringer XR series.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Elevate View Post
    Preferably looking for something rack-mountable...maybe a couple extra inputs if I'm doing work with a live band...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Portland View Post
    A used Xone 92 or Xone 62...

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    The xone 92 isn't even remotely appropriate for what he's doing...
    Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Yeah you ain't mixing a band with something that small...

Mmm, perhaps he thinks you can mix 4 bands with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Portland View Post
    A used Xone 92 or Xone 62...4 Band EQ.

*Yes, it is a joke!
    Last edited by Capitan; 10-25-2017 at 03:11 AM.
    Last Night A BJ Choked My Wife - What did she expect, I was Indeep.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    But if you don't have too much need to do real mixing except in a pinch, then the Denon mentioned will do it.. personally I hate Denon.. so maybe I'd prefer an Alesis Multimix 10 or 12R. Don't love that either, but it's acceptable.
    I'm pretty certain the Denon dn-410x is the same mixer as the Alesis Multimix 10. They sure look very similar and since both companies are inmusic companies it's not a big surprise.

I should level-set here. When I say "a band", I shouldn't have been so loose with it - what I mean is that for one event only so far, which is a wedding, they are friends of Foreigner.. so they may have one guy on guitar and another on mic sing a song during their ceremony. I don't need to be able to support an entire band and it's far from anything I'll be doing regularly. I normally draw a line at quinces and weddings because that crosses the line between fun and *job* for me, but I'm doing it for a friend.

So mainly this is to provide some extra flexibility and inputs, to not have to use the mic input on my controller for the reasons mentioned earlier, and if I had some cataclysmic hardware failure, I can have my phone plugged in immediately ready to go.

Thanks for the guidance, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Elevate View Post
    I should level-set here. When I say "a band", I shouldn't have been so loose with it - what I mean is that for one event only so far, which is a wedding, they are friends of Foreigner.. so they may have one guy on guitar and another on mic sing a song during their ceremony. I don't need to be able to support an entire band and it's far from anything I'll be doing regularly. I normally draw a line at quinces and weddings because that crosses the line between fun and *job* for me, but I'm doing it for a friend.

So mainly this is to provide some extra flexibility and inputs, to not have to use the mic input on my controller for the reasons mentioned earlier, and if I had some cataclysmic hardware failure, I can have my phone plugged in immediately ready to go.

Thanks for the guidance, as always.

This little guy is a great add on and is small and capable, mine has been problem free for years.

QUOTE The mic inputs on DJ controllers suck bad in general.. very poor sound overall and way too easy to over drive. I have a couple Mackie ProFx 8 mixers that I send out with DJ kits, they are virtually the same as the Yamaha above and have been solid reliable. QUOTE

I agree on the the DJ controller mic thing, which is why I use one of these piped into ch4 of my MC6000.