Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you know which music the crowd like?

How do you know which music the crowd like?

Hello! As the title saids how do you know which music the crowd like? Ive been searchin everywhere but cant find anything

The crowd will help you out by yelling things at you like..

"Hey DJ... play something good."

"DJ... you suck"

"excuse me.. have you got that song by that artist that goes... da.da. da da da"
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

They're dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggen View Post
    Hello! As the title saids how do you know which music the crowd like?
    THIS is the MOST important skill that a DJ can have. To answer this question, you need to know who the crowd is because the answer changes depending on age... usually.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

OK smart answers aside, this is not an easy question to answer because "what is popular" varies from town to town, country to country, from one age group to the next, from one event type to another, and from week to week. The truth is this takes time and experience to develop, you can get a jump start buy attending the type of events you hope to DJ at but getting to a certain confidence level requires you put in your dues and play, sooner or later you will get a feel for what keeps the bodies on the floor and enjoying themselves.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post

"excuse me.. have you got that song by that artist that goes... da.da. da da da"
    Man I love that song!

It depends on the party too, hardest to choose, when is is some kind of house party or wedding etc. family celebration.

Haggen... How do you know you want to be a DJ?

Like n3u2o Said, it depends on the party, but also on the athmosphere. (I'm sorry if this is bad english, i am from The Netherlands). If it is a big gig with people who want to dance and have a good time, you can try to start off with something that's not extremely heavy/hard, but not to mellow. if the crowd reacts positive (they start dancing, or yelling positive things), you can keep on playing that genre, or play something heavyer. if they react negative, try playing other stuff. again, it depends on the party, and the athmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggen View Post
    Hello! As the title saids how do you know which music the crowd like? Ive been searchin everywhere but cant find anything
    there are many ways to know, you have to keep your eyes open and always be aware of signs in your daily life, what are people listening to in work, what about when you go to a party in someones house, what music do they play there?
    every time you go to an event hosted by a band or DJ, pay attention to the music and how the crowd respond.

when you DJ yourself, you can read peoples body language, you can see waves of behaviour sweeping through the dancefloor, because normally many people respond in similar ways at the same time to the music. when i play a song that people are getting bored with, i can notice them moving less, beginning to look around them and sip their drinks, becoming less engaged with the music, those are the signals to change it up.

you can also judge by the demographic, where do they come from, what is popular there at the moment? what are the classics? how old are they, what might they have liked when they were younger?

but ultimately it comes down to reading the crowd, being constantly attentive to their reactions to the music, and their level of engagement with the music as you play it.
    some people say it can be a good idea to rotate the music quickly during the early stages until you find the genres people are reacting best to, then work from there.

i also find that when people are making requests, it is often a signal that they are not thrilled with the last few songs you played, or they simply didnt really know those last few songs very well. it is not necessarily that they really want to hear such a song, but that they just want to hear something they know. all of this varies on a case by case basis of course. i take requests very positively, it can be the crowds way of helping you along in the right direction. one song request can inspire the next 30 minutes or even a whole night of song selections if it works well.

my favourite kind of gigs , of course are the ones where you specify and promote a specific genre, and people who like that genre come there. in this case it is always best that you like that genre too! then its a win win situation.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 10-10-2017 at 07:44 AM.