Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Cable organizing I'm lazy

  1. #11
    Member cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntertainment View Post
    These things are shit. A $15 surge from the store works just as well, literally no perceivable difference.
    So I should get rid of this one and spend another $15 for a different one? Also, what store? I bought my Furman from a store. Not sure if it was from the store though.

    Sarcastic reply aside, I like the Furman because of its metal housing and long cord. I've only ever had to use an extension cord a handful of times as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Drop the bass, and the bacon.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntertainment View Post
    These things are shit. A $15 surge from the store works just as well, literally no perceivable difference.
    A plastic power bar costs $15 and has a short cord this one is metal comes with a 15 foot heavy duty cord. The main reason I bought this is because Long and McQuade has them in all there rental departments and there stuff takes a beating.



    I went to the $ store again and they had mess zipper bags that are a couple of inches shorter for those who want to be able to see inside the bag.
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    So I should get rid of this one and spend another $15 for a different one? Also, what store? I bought my Furman from a store. Not sure if it was from the store though.

    Sarcastic reply aside, I like the Furman because of its metal housing and long cord. I've only ever had to use an extension cord a handful of times as a result.
    Yeah you should get rid of that one... that's exactly what i meant.... What i really meant was for the new people, don't waste your money on them. Just buy something like this available from lots and lots of stores.

    https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=surge+protector+15'+cord&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3 Asurge+protector+15'+cord

  4. #14
    Member djscrizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Nice. I have had one of those Furman strips.. the same exact one, for a couple of decades now and it's still going strong. Good strip. But about 6-7 years ago i got my hands on half a dozen APC brand 30A PDU's.. Basically they are heavy duty 10 outlet power strips with a long cord made to plug into a UPS. I cut the twist lock off them and put a 20A Edison plug on them, and they're great.
    Interesting you talk about PDUs -- In 2010, I bought an HP one locally for the gentlemanly sum of 5$, originally setup for 30A @ 208-240V. I pulled the 4 IEC outlets off the back, added 15A snap-in outlets, and added a neutral bar. It's got Airpax 15 amp breakers, so I was good to go. I also put in a 10/4 SOOW cord about 6' long with a L14-30 plug. Built a NEMA 5-15 to L14-30C turnaround so it can also be used as a power strip. It's been bulletproof, living in my amp rack for over 7 years, and I wouldn't even consider giving it up. For a Mobile DJ/Sound Guy, it's a game changer.

    As a side note, my 2 bigger PDUs are configured with at least one L14-30 output per, just for sound. Nothing beats having Distros & breakouts for everything, so cable runs are minimized & power is stiff. All cables are S, SO or SOOW cable with Bell box ends or listed connectors.
    Last edited by djscrizzle; 09-30-2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: slight tweak.
    Been in this CRAZY art since 2003, Deep in the 719!
    Check out BPMPROCOLO online at: www.bpmproductionsofcolorado.com

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntertainment View Post
    Yeah you should get rid of that one... that's exactly what i meant.... What i really meant was for the new people, don't waste your money on them. Just buy something like this available from lots and lots of stores.

    https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=surge+protector+15'+cord&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3 Asurge+protector+15'+cord
    The long bar style strips have more of a chance to move and flip over. The cheapest black one in your link is $22 the Furman is 26.56. Also Long and McQuade has locations across Canada and Amazon prime has 2 day shipping.
    Last edited by Unknown DJ; 09-30-2017 at 11:45 PM.
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

  6. #16
    I'm sorry i didn't see the OP's picture of the furman power strip. When i think Furman i think of these (power conditioner) and these are what i'm referring too. I have nothing against their power strips, I'm sure their power strips are better than anything i posted.

    https://smile.amazon.com/Furman-Adva...ds=furman+pl8c

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by djscrizzle View Post
    Interesting you talk about PDUs -- In 2010, I bought an HP one locally for the gentlemanly sum of 5$, originally setup for 30A @ 208-240V. I pulled the 4 IEC outlets off the back, added 15A snap-in outlets, and added a neutral bar. It's got Airpax 15 amp breakers, so I was good to go. I also put in a 10/4 SOOW cord about 6' long with a L14-30 plug. Built a NEMA 5-15 to L14-30C turnaround so it can also be used as a power strip. It's been bulletproof, living in my amp rack for over 7 years, and I wouldn't even consider giving it up. For a Mobile DJ/Sound Guy, it's a game changer.

    As a side note, my 2 bigger PDUs are configured with at least one L14-30 output per, just for sound. Nothing beats having Distros & breakouts for everything, so cable runs are minimized & power is stiff. All cables are S, SO or SOOW cable with Bell box ends or listed connectors.
    Nice! You got a great deal. I paid around $300 for my Motion Labs Rac Pac which was a good deal.. NOBODY sells those.. they just keep em forever it seems. I'm also standardized on L14-30 on 10/4 and have around 250 feet of it now so I'm not changing to 50A any time soon. At one point I was trying to go to 50A but in reality I'm doing fine on 30. My friend has a distro that goes cam to L14-30 x 2 so when I need more power I can use that. Then I have 3 x 20 and 3 x 30A circuit breakers on the distro.. and from there I go to a couple of the APC power strips and that's usually all I need. So it's a pretty easy power setup. I have a little collection of breakers I can put into a spare spot on a panel with a couple of L14-30 female tails to use with that. And then also I have a 2x5-15 to L14-30 adapter same as you.

  8. #18
    learn to properly coil wire - that's 90% of it. The other 10% is velcro wire ties, home depot lowes, etc, $4-8 for various sizes. stays on the wire so you can't lose them, need to find them, etc

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
    learn to properly coil wire - that's 90% of it. The other 10% is velcro wire ties, home depot lowes, etc, $4-8 for various sizes. stays on the wire so you can't lose them, need to find them, etc
    My cables get coiled every time, some times more neatly than others and yea, at times I will have to dump everything out of the road cases and neaten up some of them, if I rushed it. Some of them I use velcro ties.. a lot of them I use tie line (theatrical tie line / parachute cord) which I got used to in the many years when theatre was my hobby and sometimes living. Tie line is far superior for larger cables, and once you get used to it, just as easy.

    Since I am not a regular gigging mobile DJ but a part time electronic music dj/sound guy, I don't bring the same gear out every time so it's pretty much standard practice for me anyway to spend the time counting out the cables I will need for each gig before the gig.. counting out a certain number of extras for each type as well... And I will then bundle them together for example I might tie together all the subwoofer cables, all the monitor cables, etc. The two XLR's from my mixer to amp rack are already zip tied together so I only have to wind one cable. And I bring two sets of those. That my sound system is passive greatly reduces cable problems because most of the wiring is in my rack and the speakon cables are far easier to manage than XLR cables and IEC cords.. if you wind them correctly they will remain easy to manage indefinitely.

    Basically, you have got to have a system that works for you. This idea of putting things in zip bags is a system that can work.. but I think that ultimately you'll end up with kinked, unruly cables. But yea, you will be able to find what you need....

  10. #20
    this is how you wrap/coil cables.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEd7ru24Vx0

    they won't make a mess of themselves.

    The bags sorta work - but they cost money and TIME and have weight - so .. money could be spent on better gear or beer, weight you need to lug into and out of every gig, and TIME - to open, close and stuff every bag at every gig. Time is also money.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
a