Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a generator for an upcoming event...suggestions?

In a situation like this, I'd do a site visit a week or so out. Once on-site, find their concessions area. If it's within 150 feet and has an electric range/stove, I'd rent a 6/4 cable and a turtle, plug into their 50 amp power, and be done for $50/day.

A week ago, I did just this at a local school. Their gymna-torium and the range receptacle in their concessions area are 75 feet apart. As such, I pulled power from there, ran it over to a 50A 120/240vdistro in the gym, and powered up a PA,and lighting with ease. Their gym has 2 120v receptacles total --at each end and a VERY old NEMA 2-30 outlet on the stage, stage left... Next time I'm out that way, I'll suggest they replace that old NEMA 2-30 with a newer NEMA 14-30, since all they'd need to do is pull a #10 neutral and earth wires down the pipe up to the new-ish GE panel located at stage right.

As such, this requires anyone wishing to use more than speakers on sticks to run distro from either a genset outside or pull off the range receptacle in concessions.
    Been in this CRAZY art since 2003, Deep in the 719!
    Check out BPMPROCOLO online at: www.bpmproductionsofcolorado.com

The dance went great! I ended up using the 10,000w generator to run all of the subs and the Porta Cool. I used their power for the lights and all 4 tops. I have a Furman power conditioning outlet hub that worked flawlessly for that. I used a seperate surge suppressor strip for the low power items (dj controller, macbook charger, microphone power). We ended up with around 750 kids. I went to about 55% of capacity with the sound system. Everytime I use the JBL stuff for large events, I love it more and more. Crisp clean sound at very loud volumes. The bass could still be felt at the opposite end of the packed dancefloor and the music still sounded great. I put the db meter in front of the speakers and we peaked around 120db.

Last edited by DJ Rock Diesel; 10-01-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rock Diesel View Post
    The dance went great! I ended up using the 10,000w generator to run all of the subs and the Porta Cool. I used their power for the lights and all 4 tops. I have a Furman power conditioning outlet hub that worked flawlessly for that. I used a seperate surge suppressor strip for the low power items (dj controller, macbook charger, microphone power). We ended up with around 750 kids. I went to about 55% of capacity with the sound system. Everytime I use the JBL stuff for large events, I love it more and more. Crisp clean sound at very loud volumes. The bass could still be felt at the opposite end of the packed dancefloor and the music still sounded great. I put the db meter in front of the speakers and we peaked around 120db.

Nice!!! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk