Thread: Is this an ethical dilemma?

Is this an ethical dilemma?

So I've talked with a couple of brides the past month who are having their "engagement party" at this one specific venue. It was kind of strange that all of a sudden I get a few inquires about this one particular venue because I know that they've always had their house "preferred DJ". So I decided to check out the venue website...and they've changed to a different "preferred DJ" Since I know how this venue works - book the hall and the music comes INCLUDED in the hall booking - I decided to check this new guy out since I've NEVER heard of him before.

No website...only a Facebook Page
    Gmail email address
    Google the business name and NOTHING comes up
    Checked on the Connect music website to see if he is licensed directly through them...no listing of his name
    Checked the CPDJA as well as the CDJA websites to see if he is a licensed member....nothing.
    Checked to see if the venue has their own licence...they don't.

His Ad-spot on the venues website claims he has over 250,000 songs!!! Really? Seems like a LOT to me! I've been in this business for MANY years and have no where near that!

So now I'm thinking...Craigslist-type unlicensed DJ....pirated music...put those 2 together and I'm thinking he probably has a garage-sale set-up as far as gear goes...which is why all of a sudden word has gotten around and brides are looking for outside DJs and pay the extra as opposed to using their "preferred-in-house-DJ" This venue is booked EVERY weekend (Fridays and Saturdays) with events...a lot of work could potentially come out of it.

Would YOU pursue this further?

Quote Originally Posted by Doublestorm View Post
    So now I'm thinking...Craigslist-type unlicensed DJ....pirated music...put those 2 together and I'm thinking he probably has a garage-sale set-up as far as gear goes...which is why all of a sudden word has gotten around and brides are looking for outside DJs and pay the extra as opposed to using their "preferred-in-house-DJ"
    Even if that isn't the case maybe this guy is just a poor wedding DJ and the word has gotten around, so you and others stand to get more work from this venue. I'm not seeing a downside to this.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Not really much of a "downside"...my FIRST thought was to talk to the venue and see what their position is with this guy to see if I can offer a better service for their clients. I KNOW I wouldn't be even close to what he is most likely charging the venue, but if the venues rep might be suffering from this....they might be willing to put out the extra dollars. Then I thought.....I'm no vulture, trying to slide in to what someone obviously worked to get. The more I think about it...if it works out that I get one of the bookings for this venue, I'll pitch the venue AFTER the event...that takes the vulture-tag off of my hat.

Oh.. I didn't catch that you might be thinking of trying to scoop the preferred DJ spot. Yeah...are you sure you want to do that? If you do play there let your performance speak for you, if they approach you about the preferred spot then talk about it otherwise I wouldn't even bring it up.

I work with a DJ that just got Preferred status at a local wedding venue, it took a year for the venue staff to come to the conclusion for themselves that he is one of the best DJs that they see. It was the whole package that they liked, the equipment, his DJ performance and music selections, his pleasant attitude with the venue staff, his preparedness and attention to detail. It is amazing how many DJs bring ratty looking and mismatched equipment, how they aren't prepared to deal with technical problems, how snarky and grumpy some are with venue staff. This is about building a relationship so if the venue wants to make a change it probably won't happen at the first meeting... unless the current relationship is toxic then things may move much faster.
    Last edited by conanski; 09-18-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Oh.. I didn't catch that you might be thinking of trying to scoop the preferred DJ spot. Yeah...are you sure you want to do that? If you do play there let your performance speak for you, if they approach you about the preferred spot then talk about it otherwise I wouldn't even bring it up.

I work with a DJ that just got Preferred status at a local wedding venue, it took a year for the venue staff to come to the conclusion for themselves that he is one of the best DJs that they see. It was the whole package that they liked, the equipment, his DJ performance and music selections, his pleasant attitude with the venue staff, his preparedness and attention to detail. It is amazing how many DJs bring ratty looking and mismatched equipment, how they aren't prepared to deal with technical problems, how snarky and grumpy some are with venue staff. This is about building a relationship so if the venue wants to make a change it probably won't happen at the first meeting... unless the current relationship is toxic then things may move much faster.
    Solid.

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post

i work with a dj that just got preferred status at a local wedding venue, it took a year for the venue staff to come to the conclusion for themselves that he is one of the best djs that they see. It was the whole package that they liked, the equipment, his dj performance and music selections, his pleasant attitude with the venue staff, his preparedness and attention to detail. It is amazing how many djs bring ratty looking and mismatched equipment, how they aren't prepared to deal with technical problems, how snarky and grumpy some are with venue staff. This is about building a relationship so if the venue wants to make a change it probably won't happen at the first meeting... Unless the current relationship is toxic then things may move much faster.
    this!!