Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does getting older change your music taste?

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    though I stopped following a few because of their change in musical direction i.e. Metallica.
    thats the problem with having a change in musical taste, when you are in the business of playing music for others, weather a musician or a DJ, you will often lose your audience when you change

when i changed from techno / trance , to drum & bass that happend then when i started playing Salsa & latin music it happened again (i found it a lot easier to accept the second time)
    but i dont care because you have to follow your heart on these things, i have built it back up, and its going well
    some people like to keep playing the same music, some dont.

i often wonder about those DJs like carl cox etc... who have made a massive business out of it and still play more or less the same musical genres since the 1990s, Great DJs as they are, but deep down, are they not sick of it sometimes?
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 09-16-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Now please don't get me wrong, I have watched a few live sets from the "new" Metallica and I was still very impressed. It's just a different animal these days. I have the same sort of feeling about Daft Punk. All that said, it's very subjective and down to one's appreciation. For instance I still listen to the Prodigy, and they don't sound like they used to.

Also, the electronic music scene has evolved. As an example, the Goa / trance scene is not what it was in the 90s. The composition process has evolved, the gear and software has also massively evolved, and this has had an influence overall on how producers sound. Overall on the subject, I still like what I liked as a kid. The only difference is now, I have a lot more music and less time to listen to it so it kind of becomes a matter of being more selective.

i often wonder about those DJs like carl cox etc... who still play more or less the same musical genres since the 1990s, Great DJs as they are, but deep down, are they not sick of it sometimes?
    Carl Cox always has had that drive and passion, he's very consistent in what he does. For example as opposed to Tiesto.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Now please don't get me wrong, I have watched a few live sets from the "new" Metallica and I was still very impressed. It's just a different animal these days. I have the same sort of feeling about Daft Punk. All that said, it's very subjective and down to one's appreciation. For instance I still listen to the Prodigy, and they don't sound like they used to.

Also, the electronic music scene has evolved. As an example, the Goa / trance scene is not what it was in the 90s. The composition process has evolved, the gear and software has also massively evolved, and this has had an influence overall on how producers sound. Overall on the subject, I still like what I liked as a kid. The only difference is now, I have a lot more music and less time to listen to it so it kind of becomes a matter of being more selective.

Carl Cox always has had that drive and passion, he's very consistent in what he does. For example as opposed to Tiesto.
    do you not think metallica have somehwhat returned to their routes with death magnetic?

funny you mention it but i was just thinking yesterday that Goa trance to me has really flatlined, it seems like all the basslines are the bloody same these days. it seems a far cry from where it was back in the mid 1990s when it was just emerging from the trance scene, to me it seemed more open and varied. groups like art of trance, Halucinogen, Cosmosis etc...... nowdays turn on any youtube video of a psy trance party and your hearing the same tune practically. that may seem dismissive to psy trance heads who would probably argue the contrary, but thats my impression these days.

the prodigy was over for me when that album "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned" came out .
    i read somewhere that Keith made the whole thing from his bed with 'Reason', software. dunno if thats true.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 09-16-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    do you not think metallica have somehwhat returned to their routes with death magnetic?
    Not possible since the passing of Cliff Burton, he was the only one with a clue about music theory and composition. Also not possible to root sound like Kill 'em All, since Dave Mustaine pretty much wrote all of it before they fired him. And death magnetic, pfff. I am the table. Pretty bad when the guitar hero version sounds better (not compressed/limited to hell and back) than the actual album.

the prodigy was over for me when that album "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned" came out .
    i read somewhere that Keith made the whole thing from his bed with 'Reason', software. dunno if thats true.
    It was partly made on reason. Then AONO was made during a split period, it wasn't the entire band and definitely not their best album.

Won't say my music taste has "changed"... BROADENED would be a more accurate word. I still like melody and (when there are vocals) singers who can actually sing. There are certain beats and rhythms I like. However, I'm not stuck in the past. I grew up in the 60's but rarely listen to music from that era. Still love the music from the 50's and 60's, but have enjoyed music from all the subsequent decades as well. I got into instrumental music (original compositions, not elevator music) in the 80's and have a huge collection. I DO find it more difficult to find the JEMS these days, but they're out there. Like this one...
    https://youtu.be/89_KXT5ztTU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 09-18-2017 at 12:12 PM.

I hear you! Afew months ago I borrowed a record deck and dusted off the old vinyal and the put a 'classic ' trance set together. Nothing newer than 2000 and I loved it. The music just seemed to have more soul, more depth.
    Yeah there are some good tracks around and my taste has changed a bit, but probably because there were less subgenres around 'back in the day.'
    My moto is that if it'ss got a beat that I can dance to...I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Most people like the music of their teens & their 20s. In their thirties start to close off to new music & by their forties don't like most new music.
    This is what I've seen repeatedly. It's music that changes constantly - most people's tastes don't.

I've also seen "musical bridges" work as well. What I mean is when an old song is remixed/sampled and recent instrumentations or grooves are added - I've seen people "get used" to that track and use it to become open to other tracks. The first time I saw this was back in 2000 when Carlos Santana did "Smooth". People who liked classic rock loved that track and then started liking other pop tracks at the time.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Now in my mid 30's I find that I REALLY enjoy piano and saxophone clad Jazz, old or new. I've recently fell COMPLETELY in love with the underground artists and producers that are making quality Retrowave/new wave tracks. That genre has a TON of nostalgia and is right on track with the original new wave sound.
    I love turning people on to that stuff. There's been times I've played a few Retrowave tunes and instantly had people come and ask "who is that? this an old school group??" it blows them away that these are being produced TODAY. lol but yeah, I think my tastes depend on my mood...
    (((DJF member since 06')))

Being born in 81 i'm now finding myself looking into a lot more 70s stuff that I missed the first time around, I'm slowly but surely getting more into original disco and funk.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

music changes. if a DJ doesnt broaden with time, they tend to get left behind.
    as an old fart, I still love the music i loved when I started out. however if I had kept my music in the genres I enjoyed in high school, I would have been done as a DJ by around age 30.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.