Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does getting older change your music taste?

Refined is exactly what I was going to write and monkeystyle just wrote pretty much word for word what I was thinking.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

I like the same stuff from when i was younger up to now.

Interestingly under 50 your genes has the biggest influence over your musical taste.
    Over 50 your environment has the biggest influence over your musical taste.

7:14 - 8:46
    https://youtu.be/j4bLQvvfJGY?t=7m14s
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I find my music tastes have changed dramatically from being 18 to now being almost 28, I didn't appreciate subtlety in music back then. No way I would have been interested in a nice hypnotic techno track. Used to listen to alot of uplifting trance back then, now I can't stand it and have fallen in love with techno. Although since I was partying alot more back then and making such great memories alongside the music, there will always be some tracks that if I heard for the first time today I would dismiss, but they bring back such great memories that they will stick around in my collection forever.

I grew up listening to alternative and hip hop. I started getting into EDM like chemical brothers, crystal method and the prodigy. I started going to clubs and got exposed to a whole different perspective of EDM. I got turntables and played breaks. I still play breaks. I have 2 podcasts - one new breaks and one old school breaks. I also just started a house podcast.

I listen to mainly old songs that I grew up listening to along with newer stuff.

I am a mobile DJ, so I have to keep up with all kinds of genres and even if I don't like the music, it is a challenge to play and mix all genres and decades of music. Taking a request and mixing it in as the next track or a couple tracks later is fun. I know nobody likes requests. I don't mind them - if someone asks for something I don't want to play, I just give them a nod and never play it.

I got into producing about a year ago. I produce breaks. More progressive stuff. I love high energy tracks when I mix, but don't want to produce that stuff. I am still developing my unique sound and try to steer away from mainstream type tracks. I get a lot of inspiration from movies and old school hip hop.

I will probably start a downtempo podcast, or maybe just do some mixes, I don't know yet. Buying tracks every week gets expensive.

So obviously my musical tastes have not so much changed, but expanded.

When I first got into music in 1991, I liked the house music of the time, and UK Hardcore/Rave.
    Rave morphed into Drum & Bass. Partly influenced by the local scene, I got into that.
    Also liked hard house for a while.
    Then deep, minimal, and tech house came along, and it was possible to play modern tracks along the classic sounds of yesteryear.
    Further to that, indie dance consists of a modern take on some more classic sounds.

So, to answer the question, it has changed slightly as scenes have come and gone, and it hasn't in the sense that for me house and techno have always been around.

Here is a post I made in 2009. Not much changed.

Influential music

Here is a list of music that influenced me most in the last 40 years of my life. With the advent of file-sharing on the internet, I do not follow particular artists/albums anymore. My iPod is always on random (with 47 different genres). Even though I mostly listen to music made in the last 5 years, it is not included on this list. This list only consists of music in my collection (approx 1500 CDs/LPs) that I find extraordinary.

Since Classical and jazz are very important to me for many reasons, I will not degrade any artists in these genres by including them on this list (or my iPod). Geniuses like Chopin, Mozart, Davis, etc, transcend any music list. Here they are in alphabetical order:

And One – Best of
    Cure – Staring at the Sea
    Dead Can Dance – Into the Labyrinth
    Die Form – Vicious Circles
    Geto Boys – We Can’t be Stopped
    Ice-T – Original Gangster
    Kraftwerk – Mix
    Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry – Arkology
    Nine Inch Nails – Pretty Hate Machine
    NWA – Niggaz4life
    Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon
    Project Pitchfork – IO
    Psychic TV – Towards Thee Infinite Beat
    Skinny Puppy – Last Rights
    Slayer – Reign in Blood
    Tom Waits – Mule Variations

Other artists I greatly enjoy:
    Aphex Twin
    Autechre
    Beatles
    Bigod 20
    Bowie
    Depeche Mode
    Doors
    Fantastic Plastic Machine
    Front 242
    Frontline Assembly
    Future Sound of London
    Haujobb
    Hendrix
    Legendary Pink Dots
    MC 900 ft Jesus
    Metallica
    www.andFurryMagnets.com

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOleg View Post

Since Classical and jazz are very important to me for many reasons, I will not degrade any artists in these genres by including them on this list (or my iPod). Geniuses like Chopin, Mozart, Davis, etc, transcend any music list. Here they are in alphabetical order:
    Degrade? Can you dance to any of their work? Could Chopin rap like Scarface?

Yes, those guys are great, but it's apples and oranges, including them on your list doesn't degrade anyone.

Please allow me to contribute some noteworthy bands and Quality music I've been into as of late, Choice:
    1) Baby Metal
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro-_cbfdrYE
    2) Marsheaux
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKaftHUKSjc

Enjoy
    S T Y M IE K
    Last edited by Manu; 09-16-2017 at 04:10 AM. Reason: link to own SC account removed-stay on topic

Too much to list. My taste hasn't changed, though I stopped following a few because of their change in musical direction i.e. Metallica.