Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does getting older change your music taste?

Does getting older change your music taste?

Hi

I'm currently 30 years old. I search the internet for new songs on a daily basis. But I feel like there is nothing good out there anymore. On the rare occassions you find a gem, but all in all it will be a song you get tired of fairly quickly. Whereas 10 years ago I would find fantastic songs very often and play them for hours.

Good example are the top 100 beatport lists, it's horrible in my opinion. Is this just the way music has become, or is it just that I've become older?

At almost double your age, my taste in music hasnt changed. I am still into older music. 60's to late 80's pop & country. Like you, there are a few tunes even current stuff that I will listen to, but outside of those two genre's, there aint anything out there for me.

I can deal with new pop better than new country, since the country artists have turned more toward "country rap". George Strait (King George) & Alan Jackson were the last true country artists left over the past decade.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Most people like the music of their teens & their 20s. In their thirties start to close off to new music & by their forties don't like most new music.

Myself personally, I've always liked the new stuff & the old stuff. (From the 1890s to the present.) The only exception for me would be Classic Rock & Heavy Metal, because I'm tiered of hearing the same thing being played over & over so much & so often, for so many years.

Today's Country songs & today's Disco (Nu Disco) songs don't sound like Country songs or Disco songs from the 1970s. So Country & Disco are still interesting for me.
    BTW Country songs (Hill Billy songs) from the 1930s also don't sound like Country songs from the 1970s.
    The U.S. pentagon budget consumes 80% of individual income tax revenue. The Pentagon spends more on war than all 50 states combined spend on health, education, welfare, and safety.

My music taste is constantly evolving even though I never hunt for records and sounds the way I did when I was playing out.
    As a kid I had no taste really.
    I gradually listened to the 1980s top 40.
    Then went heavily into independant guitar-based music. Leading to the lo-fi music of the early 90s. I hated anything Euro/Electronic.
    Then I got turntables.
    Got into DnB trip-hop and hip-hop, hated house.
    Then got heavily into house, techno and electronic, hated 80s.
    Played weddings, collected pop and disco. Still collected "DJ tunes". Collected speed garage as well.
    Got even more into house/techno.
    These days I like 80s, retro, Italo, disco, old-school hip-hop and house.
    I no longer hunt for tracks, or look at charts, I just kinda stumble on them.
    As for the new music, I don't really feel it. I don't see how the kids can party like in the past, clubs are closing although there are some amazing DJs out there.

For example this week I discovered this gem. I have the Todd Terry version on wax, but I can hear how this version influences other stuff in my collection, like Metro Area etc. Plus its a solid tune.

bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

was a working club dj from age 20-30. now in my 40s, i still love electronic music, but favor slower tempos. finding new genres to explore may awaken your love for music again. and when i hear a great club track i still get excited, but the market is flooded w/ garb, so it helps that my interests have deviated. also, get off of beatport and look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Dizzle; 09-08-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    Keeping up with DJs, clubs, and festivals to watch live as they happen from around the world. TheStreamLab.com Facebook @thestreamlab

Yeah clubs are closing at a terrifying rate in my country. 10 years ago they were packed and the atmosphere was incredible, everyone there for the music. Then it started slowly decaying and people just went to be seen and looking cool and with that the music went downhill as well. Now only the bigger ones remain and they are also losing customers... But I think it's also the hype of the fact that it's all festivals nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
    was a working club dj from age 20-30. now in my 40s, i still love electronic music, but favor slower tempos. finding new genres to explore may awaken your love for music again. and when i hear a great club track i still get excited, but the market is flooded w/ garb, so it helps that my interests have deviated. also, get off of beatport and look elsewhere.
    Any advice where to look?

I am 47 and my taste of music is still the same! Sure, I like any new stuff that comes out, BUT as long as it's the same type of beat, and type of songs as I always liked forever. That includes the fact of as long as it's NOT that rap or hip hop stuff
    I am not a professional DJ. It's a backyard hobby I love! In the garage. American Audio, BFM tuba 24s, EV ZLX 12p's, Truss full of lights
    very important message: Book of James, Psalms 49. read my biography (About me)

Quote Originally Posted by RestUnknown View Post
    Hi

I'm currently 30 years old. I search the internet for new songs on a daily basis. But I feel like there is nothing good out there anymore. On the rare occassions you find a gem, but all in all it will be a song you get tired of fairly quickly. Whereas 10 years ago I would find fantastic songs very often and play them for hours.

Good example are the top 100 beatport lists, it's horrible in my opinion. Is this just the way music has become, or is it just that I've become older?
    my musical taste has expanded, I still like most of the music i used to like during my life, but my patience has and gradually gotten shorter and i bore more quickly with some of it. some music i would have lived and breathed at one point, i now dont have enough patience to DJ it anymore. i think this is natural. the music simply doesnt challenge you anymore, there comes a point where the characteristics that define and codify a particular musical genre also have a limiting factor you find the music repeating itself and hitting a brick wall. the only way to get beyond that point is to change some of the fundamental rules. Ie. a different genre.

I know I may be in a minority here when I say this, but I think that to stick with one kind of music all your life is to truely get old whereas to stay young is to keep moving and looking for new things . you once loved that genre because it challenged you, it was new to you and it had a sense of mystery. now it doesnt anymore, so its time to look for new challenges. embrace it.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 09-09-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    My Neighbours listen to good music
    weather they like it or not
    www.djmatt.net

I used to play everything from hip hop, to trance, hard house, pop, slow jams, etc back in the 90s. It was in 2001 when I concentrated in playing more house. Then in as time went by, I narrowed my selection to deep house, soulful, progressive, funky, disco, and latin house. Although I still play 90s and 70s once in a while just when it calls for. I get irritated by noisy EDM music most of the time. Although I play it when needed (which is very, very seldom), just the progressive sound of EDM and not the non-sense noise of it.

Age plays a factor and it can be harder to take in the new as we get older, but... I find that there's more to it than that. I think as you listen to tons and tons of music you also develop certain filters, kind of the same as if you have read many books or watched a lot of movies, then you develop a taste that is more refined, usually. I find that this can cause you to get out of sync with the general partygoer, musically at least. You'll start to find a lot music mundane, gimmicky and cheesy, but those qualities in music is often what young people or people who spend less time with music love. Most people watch crappy films and tv shows, listen to cheesy music and the most popular restaurant in the world is McDonalds.

Embrace the fact that you have developed taste, you'll find yourself with a smaller crowd of likeminded people now, but that's OK. Rely on your experience and intelligence to pick out crowd pleasers if your gigs requires you too.