Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many times Have you "RE-Organized" your DJ Music Library & Crates???

Quote Originally Posted by KAL View Post
    make sure you back them up as I learn the hard way how frustrating it can be if they get wiped!
    very true, not sure how it is with most dj software, but with virtual DJ you can email the database file to yourself once in a while, and never lose it that way :-)

You’ve got it so good now. This was the exact opposite problem only a generation and a half ago. Anyone can just digitally own 300 GB of music. Your music collection and selection sepearates you from the rest, of that is what you are truly after. You should be able to list 3-5 songs off the top of your head from each outgoing song. Then from there, another 3-5 songs. Open up your musical tastes and keep you mind open to new sounds that “connect”. Don’t just put the same songs in each crate. Really think about who you are playing to. Less is more. All the re-organizing in the world won’t make a difference if you don’t know what sound you are trying to exclaim as a dj.

I spent about 4 after works hours everyday last week streamlining my crates from the Best of.... to Best of Must Play... for example I had a Hip Hop Golden Era crate with about 400 songs. I narrowed it down to about 200 and played maybe 6 at last weekend's gig. (Mixed Genre 50th Birthday). I did the same for my 2K Best of.... 80's, 70's.... later on this evening I'm going to review my history for the gig and make adjustments to my must play crates based on what hit, missed, and songs I wanted to play but forgot.

My point is that I'm always focused on bettering myself and I will always fine tune my crates. One main thing I did was reflect back to how I used to organize my vinyl crates back in the day. I had my must plays closer to me. I did that to my folders as well. Depending on the type of gig I place the respective crate towards the top of that particular gig's folder. Having a system/process is the key for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have been "trimming the fat" you could say. I purchased a 2tb external drive and have been transferring and sorting my folders. The one folder with a TON of sub folders is my House music folder. I like a bit of all styles. From chunky tech to Latin Ibiza vibes to clubby douche bag type of stuff. lol
    I try and clean my crates like the way I used to dig for vinyl in '95. I skim the intro, the meat and tatters, and the outro. If that track doesn't hook me by the time I'm done with the middle I either delete or set it to the side if I'm unsure... problem is.... it's been years since I've done this. lol and YES! IT'S A PAIN, but I come across a buried track that was lost because it was SOOO far down the list... and I'm like a kid in a record store again! You KNOW you've got a gem when you listen to it all the way through!
    Then there's my spotify crates... ufff... don't get me started.
    (((DJF member since 06')))

I came up with a crazy idea the other day that I might give up on this long term project of mine and start from empty folders again, in the same tree structure, moving what i want to keep into them bit by bit. I have a bad habit of not finishing what I start though, so I might end up with 2 incomplete collections.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

well, when I first started out I had my albums in milk crates, the cassettes in briefcase style cases. once CD's came along I switched everything over to those cd holders that you just put the CD in, without the jewel case. now i just store it all in my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.