Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing jungle/dnb

Mixing ragga jungle/dnb

I am a beginner and I've bought a mixture of about 10 jungle/dnb albums (all compilations) half ragga jungle and half dnb. I've ran into a problem. I think I have too many sub genres and I'm finding hard to mix more than 3 tracks together as Im cutting off and destroying the vibe
    Could anyone please give me any tips?
    Last edited by Kevwin; 08-10-2017 at 08:59 PM.

I suppose if the compliations have got 10 tracks in them, try mixing a compliation on it's own. And the tracks you don't like, delete them, my advice is build a well curated collections that might be small but is just full of tracks you love rather than a big collection that 80% of it is crap.

Next step would be create a file structure that makes sense to you, and add the tracks you want to keep from the compilations in the relevant main folder:

Jungle
    Drum N Bass
    Ragga

As you practise and learn your tracks, you'll find crossover tracks that you know you can transition one one genre to another without ruining the vibe.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Every album has between 40-60 tracks.
    I'll get deleting when I get home. Thank you for the advice.

Tbh I love jungle and dnb but my knowledge on genres isn't so good. Once I have put together a playlist of songs I like I guess I'll have to just suck it an see...so to speak!

Don't stress to much about getting in in the correct sub genre for the rest of the world, just what works for you. In my drum n bass folder i have 3 sub folders names "dirty" "liquid" "funky" which means something to me but other dnb heads would catergorise the tunes differently to the universally acceptedsub genres.

I actually hate all the 100s of sub genre names that have come about in recent years.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

I also hate the sub genres Andy. Whatever happened to dnb being just dnb!?
    As we speak I'm putting all the tunes I like into a playlist then hopefully sort them out after. Btw, I have 712 tunes in rekordbox Dj. I have a feeling that is way to much for a beginner.

What do you mean by funk dnb?
    I just live in Mexico, I'm not really Mexican

It's drum n bass that has a funky sounding bassline rather than being hard or dirty or liqiud, (hard is my other folder) Like this one:

That is an example of funky it hard?
    I got a few playlists sorted now. Chill, dark and tunes I like. I still need to split that one into dnb and jungle. Progress! It only took 4 hours!!!!
    Last edited by Kevwin; 08-12-2017 at 07:49 AM.
    I just live in Mexico, I'm not really Mexican

Mixing jungle/dnb

Quote Originally Posted by Kevwin View Post
    I am a beginner and I've bought a mixture of about 10 jungle/dnb albums (all compilations) half ragga jungle and half dnb. I've ran into a problem. I think I have too many sub genres and I'm finding hard to mix more than 3 tracks together as Im cutting off and destroying the vibe
    Could anyone please give me any tips?
    I've found if a DnB song isn't within 1-2 beats of the previous one.. It's too difficult to pitch up and down far enough to beat match.

I would always look up bpms and memorize what tracks are in their bpm zone.

Otherwise you'll have to bring a song in during the intro/breakdown.. to avoid drum beats clashing.

I started mixing dnb last month too, so I'd be willing to take this journey with you.