Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixing jungle/dnb

Quote Originally Posted by Kevwin View Post
    I am a beginner and I've bought a mixture of about 10 jungle/dnb albums (all compilations) half ragga jungle and half dnb. I've ran into a problem. I think I have too many sub genres and I'm finding hard to mix more than 3 tracks together as Im cutting off and destroying the vibe
    Could anyone please give me any tips?
    Part of being a good DJ is knowing your tracks, so just cycling through them a lot and figuring out which ones work together and which ones don’t is totally normal until you get better combo ideas. It’s trial and error for new tracks every time you buy.

In my experience if you want to be a good dnb/jungle DJ you need to learn how to do double drops.. the rest is pretty much obvious, knowing your tracks, beat/phrasematching etc.

It's a core technique used almost exclusively in drum and bass, jungle and urban music.. very difficult to master, took me a while to get it right and there's always a chance of something going wrong but the results can be very satisfying.

Then I've heard there are people who do triple drops.. never tried but I'd figure it requires a lot of precision.

^^ good post - for the OP, Andy C explains the double drop here

https://www.skiddle.com/news/all/And...le-drop/28832/

"You mentioned that you like to have two tunes drop at the same time. Is that something you've only been able to do since the advent of digital DJ equipment? I would imagine that getting the timings right to do that on vinyl would be incredibly difficult.

No, not at all! I've been doing that since... That's what I do. I don't use sync. I don't use that digital equipment. I mix in an analog way. Two tunes to drop is what I've always done from way back when, on turntables.

Does that mean you have to count the bars, know the bars on each tune you're playing, to know that the drops are going to occur simultaneously?

Of course, yeah.

That must be really difficult. You have to know your records really, really well to do that.

Well, that's why I'm a DJ [laughs] That's what I do! I don't know what other DJs you've been speaking to. Do they just stick a bunch of records in the bag and go out and play 'em?"