Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Mixer Decision ...

Hybrid View

Rotary Mixer Decision ...

"Calling all you Rotary mixer owners & users"...
    I could do with your knowledge & expertise in helping me decide which custom made mixer to buy.
    It's mainly going to be used in my home setup linked to 2x Technics & 2x CDJ's.
    Right then, at the moment my choices are between,

1. E&S DJR400:
    The mixer which i've originally had my mind set on buying for few years now
    but as many will tell you trying to get replys from them can be like trying to get blood
    from a stone. But really do like the design & layout , although i would have to pay extra
    for the wood sides (a must imo), Cue/Mix and also the Cue LED's ;
    (not essential but cosmetically look right and would be useful if i decided to use it at club/gig).
    After converting the pricing from Euros to GB Pounds: £1480 as standard & around £1670 with add features. (80euros each) not inc shipping.

2. Bozak AR-4:
    This was the closest i could find in design & features to the DJR that i like and from what i have read, their customer services are good.
    It's got ISO's at the top a 3-band EQ (Which are supposed to be isolators) plus cue/mix and cue led's built in standard.
    price is £1700 not inc shipping.

3. Mastersounds Radius 4:
    This mixers features & layout are different to the above 2, but i like the design (looks good in Black or Silver)
    But i find that this mixer has gain controls, 3-band Master EQ/ISO and a HP Filter replacing the channel EQ's interesting.
    It does have built in Cue Led's & split cue but no Cue/Mix which is something im used to having and using over the years, maybe not a big deal
    would be interesting to know how the cue/master balance is in your headphones.
    Another reason i like the Radius is because i currently own a Xone 42 and i tend to use the HP filters alot when mixing anyways,
    this mixer is great, but the channel fader curve is shocking (Logarithmic taper) when trying to do long smooth blends.
    Plus you can also guarantee it's got great sound & build quality being designed and assembled by Andy Rigby Jones.
    It kind of reminds me of baby V6 mixer ... Price £1450 not inc shipping.

Anyway guys & girls there are my current choices, and before you all start, Yes i do know about the Candesa mixers esp, the Carmen EQ/ISO £1920 n/inc shipping. And the ARS 9000 around £3400. Both out of my prefered price range regardless of quality.
    Just want your thoughts and your experience on using or owning the above mentioned.
    Oh yeah, has the DJR400 now turned into a trendy hipster toy for DJ's playing on Boilerroomtv? ..

Welcome to DJF,.have to show a fellow rotary DJ,some love..to gauge your price range.had to go convert pounds to dollars,a little over 2 grand,in American dollars.most of here,are yanks!...thanks for showing me that Bozak,that's one was new to me. minimalistic.and lovely,and yet,not a true Bozak! is it?,. I for one,have my sights set on the Rane MP2015,a analog rotary mixer,with an digital heart.(lol,or is it,the other way around?)..my second choice would be the ARS 9000.I always,always wanted one....not to confuse your choices,nor hijack your thread,.I'm in the process of selling off on Ebay,both,.a used,in great condition,Rane MP 2016a with XP 2016a(EQ),split cue,and cue/mix,and a modified original Urei 1620 (split cue/near mint).contact me,if interested,both under 2 grand,and willing to split the shipping cost..I want to give them both,a good home....cheers!
    Last edited by DennisBdrmDJ 2.0; 07-21-2017 at 07:16 PM.

DJR400 & Radius 4 are sick rotary mixers. I own the MP2015 and couldn't be happier. I switch between vinyl and serato, so it works for me.

Omnitronic TRM 202.
    Admittedly it is the "price conscious" choice.
    But as to how it sounds...well at least you could throw the 1000 quid difference into speakers
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Omnitronic TRM 202.
    Admittedly it is the "price conscious" choice.
    But as to how it sounds...well at least you could throw the 1000 quid difference into speakers
    not bad! familiar layout. did you read the specs ?~"Important Note: the mixer comes with a Euro style power plug, an adapter is necessary for use in North America but NOT INCLUDED. (In addition: After further testing, there appears to be slight bleed in the headphone cue system.)"...in theory the bleeding,could be corrected through modification.there go's the 1000 quid,you though you saved.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisBdrmDJ 2.0 View Post
    not bad! familiar layout. did you read the specs ?~"Important Note: the mixer comes with a Euro style power plug, an adapter is necessary for use in North America but NOT INCLUDED. (In addition: After further testing, there appears to be slight bleed in the headphone cue system.)"...in theory the bleeding,could be corrected through modification.there go's the 1000 quid,you though you saved.
    Checking the back I think it covers colonial voltage as well. So a plug aint gonna hurt.
    As for the bleed, I'm pretty sure those artisanal rotaries probably have their own QC issues as well.
    Soldering. At some point in your life it is going to happen.

I agree its certainly not in the same league as some of the fancier boutique models, but it is a real curve-ball compared to a lot of the other modern rotaries.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Most of the revered sound quality of rotaries comes from the simple fact of the sparse features, which I've had $20 mixers with no features and mash-ups of home passive stuff that can sound just as good. If you're staying analog, I wouldn't go nuts on this top stuff. It's not rocket science and there are limits to what analog can do. The Omnitronic started out as internally basically a DJR-400 clone. The DJRs had various issues, as did the first clones of them. I would probably get the mk3 202 if I was getting an analog rotary. It's just too bad it's not a 3 channel matrix design, but with rotary I find 2 channel does feel a little more natural. Having too many channels and knobs can be a confusing experience. By the way, Omnitronic also has a new rack mount Alpha-looking clone if you need that many channels. And be wary of the allure of rotary mixing. It's not for everyone and might not be as fun as you think it's going to be. Yet another reason not to be dumping over a grand on one without trying it first.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 07-25-2017 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    Most of the revered sound quality of rotaries comes from the simple fact of the sparse features, which I've had $20 mixers with no features and mash-ups of home passive stuff that can sound just as good. If you're staying analog, I wouldn't go nuts on this top stuff. It's not rocket science and there are limits to what analog can do. ~ Having too many channels and knobs can be a confusing experience.~ It's not for everyone and might not be as fun as you think it's going to be. Yet another reason not to be dumping over a grand on one without trying it first.
    your post,begs to ask..have you ever play on a full fledge analog system (not a digital/analog hybrid),employing a rotary mixer,with EQ/ISO? because you ever had,you would come to understand what heaven feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisBdrmDJ 2.0 View Post
    your post,begs to ask..have you ever play on a full fledge analog system (not a digital/analog hybrid),employing a rotary mixer,with EQ/ISO? because you ever had,you would come to understand what heaven feels like.
    He said nothing wrong and certainly nothing bad about sound coming from such a rig if you're referring to that. He merely stated that, since most mixers mentioned here don't have full channel EQ/ISO, some people might find it limiting and not so enjoyable if they are unwilling to change their way of mixing.

Edit:not interested in getting into a war of words,on opinions,nor in defending one's passion...moving on!
    Last edited by DennisBdrmDJ 2.0; 07-27-2017 at 02:18 PM.