Thread: Yamaha DBR15 / DXR15 Inputs Question

Yamaha DBR15 / DXR15 Inputs Question

Hi everybody. I play in a solo act and I'm looking to get either a Yamaha DBR15 or DXR15. I want a one box solution that I can plug a mic, bass guitar and drum machine into. The DBR15 has two inputs - input 1 for mic and input 2 which is shared between line level / instruments and RCA inputs. The DXR15 has three inputs - 1 for mic, 1 for line level / instruments and 1 for RCA.

I was wondering if you could plug both a line level instrument and drum machine into input 2 of the DBR15 or whether this would damage it. I could control the level of the drum machine plugged into the RCA and instrument plugged into the line level independently using their own volume controls and use the volume on input 2 of the DBR15 as a master once they are balanced. Ideally I would rather get the DBR15 as it is lighter, cheaper and sound quality is probably very similar to the DXR15. The DXR15 would let me control the line level / instrument and drum machine separately but it is more expensive and about 5 kg heavier which you do feel at the end of a gig when you're knackered!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Here's a picture of the inserts on the DBR15 - input 1 for mic and input 2 which is shared between line level / instruments and RCA inputs: -

And here is a picture of the inserts on the DXR15 - 1 for mic, 1 for line level / instruments and 1 for RCA: -

I'd get the DBR15 and a small mixer. I have a small XENYX 802 mixer and it works great. Something like that would be ideal for what you need while being small and portable.

I had considered using a mixer but I just wondered if it was possible to plug into both inputs simultaneously on channel 2 of the DBR15. Incase of mixers breaking or just wanting an even quicker set up.

Yes, you can.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_latham View Post
    I had considered using a mixer but I just wondered if it was possible to plug into both inputs simultaneously on channel 2 of the DBR15. Incase of mixers breaking or just wanting an even quicker set up.
    You're better off with a small mixer because you have a lot more flexibility. For example, you have better volume/eq control, you can connect more devices, it looks more professional, etc. If you get a small Yamaha or Mackie mixer it is unlikely that it will break if you are careful with it. For example, keep it in a padded bag and treat it with care.