Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turntables & Mixer vs. Controllers as a Mobile DJ ???

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel86 View Post
    Andymunro,

Dude, this Denon Controller you recommended looks like a Beast on Steroids. I wonder how reliable Denon is these days. Several years ago, I looked into there single 3500s with the bright lights bells and whistles. At that time CD's were still being used. I don't use Cd's that often. Unless I am backing up music. But why use a Cd if External drives exist. LOL
    I'm not aware of any reliability issues plaguing them, just a few review stating their "Engine" software isn't up to par compared to say Rekordbox, but from what I've seen teh high end Denon stuff still gets top reviews.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

I've never had a really great Denon experience and quite a few bad experiences.
    I can't speak for their newer gear because I won't bother using it.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    I've never had a really great Denon experience and quite a few bad experiences.
    I can't speak for their newer gear because I won't bother using it.
    Light-O-Matic,

What up, I hate to make this a Denon Bashing thread. Truth be told though, over the years as it pertains to a lot of there stuff, most of the feedback I have gotten has not been solid. I guess different people do have different experiences with different gear. Example: I dig quite a few of Numarks Turntables. The TTX Turntable which I personally loved. I've heard countless people refer to Numark stuff as trash. It really doesn't bother me. If it works for me, I wil rock out on it. I've recently looked into Denons new Direct drive turntables. Denon VL12... The selling point is an illuminated Neon Light that changes colors in the dark. Okkkk so that some how sanctions one turntable to cost $900 bucks. WTF? You have Pio PLX Series, RELOOPS, VESTAX and more. For me I'm not dropping $900 on em. It's just Ludacris to me. So yeah, If I can rock out on some Numark TTX for $400 a pop which is less then half of a Denon VL12. I could care less about how many people throw shade on Numark gear. I'm still lacing the crowd and getting the party jumping and I am not dropping $1800 for a set. I just try to keep an open mind to testing new gear. Guitar center is one of the places that actually allows you to feel out the gear on the floor.

Years ago I purchased some low grade Stanton turntables. OMG, I returned them 30 minutes after I had them hooked up to the mixer. They were a disgrace to me. Now you might have 10 other people who say I love Stanton turntables. For me not my cup of tea.

I definitely appreciate your input through.

I've been dealing with this dilemma for the past couple of years. I've had a few controllers from the NS7, Denon MC2000, Mixtrack Pro, and now a Pioneer DDJ-SB2. They were all very convenient for me as a mobile DJ but I never fully enjoyed performing with them. The NS7 was close but it was too bulky. Last weekend I decided to bring out my Technics and Z2 mixer for a mobile gig and I really felt more comfortable performing. The down side was the amount of space they take up in the vehicle compared to the SB2. When you are carrying two sound systems plus lights and containers for cables things can get very crowded. I drive a SUV and was still running out of places to put stuff. If I had a van this wouldn't be an issue for me.
    My mission is to boldly go where no DJ has gone before

Quote Originally Posted by logisticalstyles View Post
    I drive a SUV and was still running out of places to put stuff. If I had a van this wouldn't be an issue for me.
    Why aren't you driving a van? It's not like you're getting buried in snow storms.
    (Or is it your wife's car & like most soccer moms, she won't drive anything except an SUV?)
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.