Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Booked an "Family Reunion Gig"... I'm on edge but why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mixxed View Post
    Don't be afraid to ask your friend what artists he think his family likes
    I decided to jump in here because I do a lot of family reunions. The quote above is key. You are going to have a wide range of ages so try to find out what the older people like. You don't want to run them off. Being that this will be in NY, It will be easy to keep the young crowd happy.
    During family reunions people are talking with family members that they haven't seen in years and generally enjoying each others company so don't expect a club like atmosphere. Family reunions are one of those events where it's good to have an internet connection because you will get requests for songs that you don't have. This will start to clue you in on what people like.
    It the event runs into the late hours you will mostly be left with the young family members who will probably party a little harder by then. I moved from the Bronx to Texas 10 years ago. The family reunions that I've done have all been two day affairs. The first is mainly meet and greet. Things heat up a bit towards the end. The second day is usually far more energetic as everyone is rested and ready to have fun.
    In any case, do be nervous. Reunions can be fun even for the DJ.
    Last edited by Kjay; 07-18-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Family reunion can be very tricky. I'm sure at least have of the family are going to be from Down South and the Mid West. A few guys have listed good songs. Usually it goes like this, early there's going to be a lot of convos and chilling and you're going to be basically providing (good) background music (luther, maze, al green, celebration, power of love, teddy p - when someone loves you back) If a southern hears a groove they like, they going to dance. You have to be able to keep that groove going. From that list you posted, I don't think you can.

During the middle of the event, they're going to eat. You don't want to blow your hits early (line dance songs, Bruno Mars,)

I'll give you a few songs you can't lose with

R.Kelly - Backyard Party, Happy People, Step in the Name of Love
    Smokey Robinson - Share It
    Beyonce - Party
    Musiq - Buddy
    Diana Ross - Some day we'll be together

Quote Originally Posted by DJFairground View Post
    Family reunion can be very tricky. I'm sure at least have of the family are going to be from Down South and the Mid West. A few guys have listed good songs. Usually it goes like this, early there's going to be a lot of convos and chilling and you're going to be basically providing (good) background music (luther, maze, al green, celebration, power of love, teddy p - when someone loves you back) If a southern hears a groove they like, they going to dance. You have to be able to keep that groove going. From that list you posted, I don't think you can.

During the middle of the event, they're going to eat. You don't want to blow your hits early (line dance songs, Bruno Mars,)

I'll give you a few songs you can't lose with

R.Kelly - Backyard Party, Happy People, Step in the Name of Love
    Smokey Robinson - Share It
    Beyonce - Party
    Musiq - Buddy
    Diana Ross - Some day we'll be together
    DJ Fairground,

Bug up on your assistance on my thread. The gigs tomorrow night Saturday the 22nd of July. I have a ton of music I added to my crates. I'm amped n just trying to get all my equipment together. Monitors, cables, laptop stand etc.

Thanks a Million to everyone on the boards with your support.

Will post final outcome after the gig

Hey Guys,

I promised to let everyone know how the Family Reunion Gig went. I did the gig last Saturday. I'm posting my Feedback in segments because it's a little lengthy. I've pretty much been tied up with full time work so haven't gotten a chance to reply intill now.

FEEDBACK PART 1

At any rate, the gig overall turned out to be positive. The thing that disappointed me the most is that the number of family members that were supposed to attend was less then I expected. I was initially informed that between family and friends, there would be somewhere in the neighorhood of 100 - 200 attending. When it was all said and done, I believe it was closer to 60-70 people that showed up.

I am not really sure where to start. Well, I dunno if it was the original plan or a last minute change. The fact is that the gig ended up being in a Restaurant. The family rented out a Party room within the restaurant. The Room was a pretty good size. I'd estimate the size of the room was about 45 Foot in Length by 30 foot in Width. Dining tables were set up with chairs. The room had a shiny disco ball in it. The Dance floor was a Parkay style wooden dance floor.

I set up my gear in the far end of the room which was closest the dance floor. In my previous experiences, especially when I've done family or friend style gigs. Some older person has always started complaining that my speakers were too loud and blaring in there ear. I wanted to stay further away from the dining tables to avoid some older person from saying the speakers were too loud. I had an assistant with me so I was able to gauge what was too loud and what was about right for the dining portion of the event. I knew I wasn't going to be blaring the slow dining tunes but kept the volume at a moderate volume.

Anyway, I dunno why, maybe because I've been out of the mobile market for a while. I had a ton of anxiety. I got there like 3 Hours early to make sure I had time to set up and do my sound check. I also wanted to freshen up and change into some more upscale ****** clothing. I went to set up in my cargo Khaki shorts and Air Max. I figured folks were going to be dressed to impress and I didn't wanna be dressed down.

Anyway, my biggest worry is always being nervous of haveing a sound glitch of some sort. I re adjusted my tone arms on both turntables. I made sure the dust was clear of my stylus and m-447's. I had to calibrate within Serato to make sure my scopes were Round/Circular/and Clear. When I first played a track my assistant said, dude, I hear some sort of static or distortion. I realized I had my Bum, Beat up practice Serato Vinyl on. I immediately swapped out my scratched up Vinyl for new ones. I had transported the turntables in cases with the vinyl I practice on. Thank God I brought a clean pair to rock with. The moment I swapped em for the new pair, my sound was clean and crisp.

Once again, I was able to get my sound cleaned up and ready to go. I planned to start of the gig with slower tempo relaxing feel good dining music. Even though that was the case, I had a considerable amount of nerves. I though to myself, I need to mix some tracks to settle down. I mixed about 8 EDM tracks just to calm down. At that point it was still early and no one was there yet.

Sad thing is a lot of family showed up late. It's funny causeI have people in my family who make jokes about certain ethnic groups being late to everything. I just chuckled to myself. Once people showed up though, everyone was mostly mingling, hugging, and shootin the ish. Some pictures were being taken etc. Once I seen the room fill with about 15 to 20 heads, I started in on the music. I had pretty much had my Serato Crates Organized with the dining songs I was planning to play.

While the family and friends were settling down and eating appetizers. Here are the first 30 songs I started the gig with.

Charlie Wilson - I'm Blessed

OJay's - Family Reunion

Kindered The Family Soul - ALL MY PEOPLE

Raheem Devaughn - Woman

Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely

Aloe Blac - The Man

Charlie Wilson - There Goes My Baby

P1 Steppers Groove

Bill Withers - Lovely Day

Mark Morrison - Return of the Mack

Michael Jackson - You Rock My World

Dennis Edwards - Don't Look Any Futher

Stevie Wonder - Master Blaster (Jammin)

Charlie Wilson - Outstanding

AL Green - I'm still in Love with you

New Edition - If It Isn't Love

Herb Albert - Rise

Kenny Burke - Risin To The Top

Robin Thicke ft. Faith Evans - Got To Be Down

Grover Washington Jr. - Mr. Magic

R. Kelly - Happy People

R. Kelly - Step in the Name Of Love

After 7 - Can't Stop

Sybil - Don't Make Me Over

Jaheim - Ain't Leaving with out you

Marvin Gaye - Music

Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke

AL Green - Let's Stay Together

Staple Singers - I'll take you there

Fat Larry's Band - Act Like You Know

*****Feedback to be Continued.... *****

FEEDBACK Pt. 2 Continued...

So Umm where did I leave off. Oh yeah, there was something I left out of part 1. Somewhere into the first 5 songs, I was approached by the family reunions coordinator. I was asked to turn the music completely off so they could join hands in a family prayer. But of course I respecfully did so. I felt like it was only proper to give respect to the family so I also bowed my head. I don't recall this sort of thing in previous family parties I've done. Yes it came by surprise but I just went with it.

After the prayer, I replayed the the OJay's - FAMILY REUNION song which I had already previously played. I just felt like it was fitting and appropriate after the prayer. I don't typically replay songs but I did for this portion of the event.

HOLY Shizammm Batman.... The restaurant brought these Fried Chicken Wings and Empanadas as appetizers. I felt like the Hungry Roc Wilder looking at a Steak being waved in front of me. ROLMAO! Food looked out of this world! I was pretty focused on my music but I was like Damnnnn, can a DJ get like 3 of dem wings. LOL Imagine me with Chicken greese on my fingers trying to Kue up the next track. But of course they offered me and my assistant food later on when the main course was served up. I didn't actually par-take in the appetizers.

Next, I guess, I was just trying to feel out the crowd. Some were older, some aunts uncles , kids and they all seemed very southern. The gig as supposed to be from 6pm to 11pm. After the first 30 songs which I listed up top... I was trying to gauge when to really drop the uptempo tunes. It's like some people were still stuffing there faces. Others were mingling and socializing. I seen a few doing the two step and boppin there head but not really full fledge dancing yet. I didn't wanna start in on the uptemp tracks while people had a bad case of the "ITIS". Fo those of you who don't know what the term "ITIS" means, you will have to do your homework on this one. LOL

Anyway, I honestly was starting to get a little bored with the slow jams and I needed some upbeat tempos to get me out of those drab tunes. I mean, I was diggin my choices in music, but I wanted to ROCK OUT ya feel me. Remember the gig was supposed to start like 6pm but after people showed up and settled down, it's now like 7:30 or 8pm after the first 30 tracks I played.

At this point I took it to 108 BPM or so. Here are the tracks I went to next....

Koffee Brown - After Party

JiLL Scott - Golden

Luther Vandross - Shine

AL B Sure - Night & Day

Lou Rawls - You'll Never Find another Love Like Mine

Alicia Myers - I wanna Thank You

Barry White - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love

The Weeknd - Rockin

Blackstreet - ALL I Do

Daft Punk / Pharrel - Get Lucky

Justin Timberlake - Suit & Tie

Four Tops - I'll Be There

After those songs up Top... I dropped Bpms to some Beyonce and Company... Next Tracks...

Rihanna & Drake - Work

Mary J. Blige - Family Affair

Alliyah - Back and Forth

Flo Rida - My House

Queen Pen - Party ain't a Party

SWV & MIchael Jackson - Right Here

Trey Songs - 2 Reasons

DJ Jazzy Jeff / Fresh Prince - Summer Time

Iggy Azalea - Fancy

V.I.C. - Wobble

Beyonce - Get Me Bodied

Beyonce - Single Ladies

En Vogue - Hold On

EU - Da BUTT

Jagged Edge / Nelly - Where Da Party At

Mary Jane Girls - ALL Night Long

Yarborough & Peoples - Don't STop the Music

Beyonce - Creole

Beyonce - Freak Em Dress

Beyonce - Crazy In Love

Rihanna Pon De Replay

Soul For Real - Every Little Thing I Do

Amerie - One Thing

Taana Gardner - Heart Beat

Ini Kamoze - Hot Stepper

Bobby Brown - Every Little Step

Fifth Harmony - Worth It

Next - Wifey

R. Kelly - Back Yard Party

Faith Evans / Puff Daddy - ALL NIGHT LONG

Faith Evans - Love Like This Before

Justin Timberlake - Rock Your Body

Soul II Soul - Back To Life

Tinashe - 2 On

Zhane - Hey Mr. DJ.

Nelly - Ride wit Me

Will Smith - Switch

Alright... Somehwere around when I first dropped Beyonces Single Ladies people started getting the itch to dance. I was like Thank God! Let's go people. I stared mixing songs about every 2 to 2 n a Half minutes. I didn't wanna bore the party goers. On the flip side, theres always that person who wants to hear the whole Ffin 5 minutes of the extended version. Bump Dat! LOL
    I was trying to get into my groove and I was pretty much trying to transiiton through a bunch of tracks quickly. But of course right when I started gettin into my comfort zone here comes somebody running up to my dj table for a request. I had my headphones on and I gave them the one moment please hand sign. LOL

So this middle aged woman goes, DO YOU HAVE Bruno Mars 24K. I'm like Ahhh, Yeahhh! Ya Thnk! It's only one of the MOST POPULAR songs on the Top 40 charts. Jesus! LOL
    I told her, it's coming , I got you. It's comin. I had already planned to play it once I got to 107 Bpm.
    Tell me why I got like two more songs mixed in and shes running back to the table like BRUNO MARS PLEASE. At this point shes's startin to cramp my style. I say to myself. let me jump up on in bpms and get this damn 24k Poppin.

*****Feedback to Be Continued*****
    Last edited by Drexel86; 07-29-2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Typos

FEEDBACK Pt. 3 Continued...

Alright so basically, I played like 2 or 3 tracks to get up to Bruno's 24K Magic. Hold Up...REEEEWIND! So the same chic came back to the table and this was even before I got 24K Magic on. She goes, we have some younger kids here and they don't know any of the OLD School songs your playing. At this point she was lighting a little bit of fire under me. At this point I wanted to tell her to go fly a kite and not in those words. LOL

I'm saying to myself... Maybe I am not playing 2017 Shit for your young generation cause every other word is the "N Word, The B Word, and The F Word. Maybe that's why I am sticking to RESPECTFUL tunes. At least that was what I was saying in my head. Shhh, these people started off with a prayer. Sure it would be appropriate to drop some Lil Wayne Ha. NOT! So she leaves the table. I'm like let me do my thang thang and shut dis chick up.

I Dropped these tunes next...

Eve - Tambourine

Mariah Carey / ODB - Fantasy

Drake - One Dance

Montell Jordan - This is How We Do it

Bruno Mars - 24K Magic!

Then people started puttin there hands up pointing to me like Yooo, you da man! In my head I was like then tell dat HEFFA over there to Shut da hell up and let a Brotha Rock! Damnnnnn!

Next I hit em in the Head like this...

Kid & Play - Rollin with Kid and Play

Maze & Beverley - Before I Let Go

New Edition - Candy Girl

Akon - Belly Dancer

Guy - I Like

George Clinton - Atomic Dog

KC & Sunshine - Jungle Boogie

Diana Ross - Upside Down

James Brown - Get Up

Marcia Griffins- Electric Slide

As Much as I hate that damn Electric Slide, I just knew it was appropriate. It's not really my cup of tea but sure enough Everrrrrrrrryyyy Body got on the dance floor.
    As long as they were having a good time, I was good!

More Feedback to be continuted...

Feedback Pt 4 Continued...

AT this point most of the party people were into the music. It seemed like the Old Heads had more energy then the younger crowd. I kept saying to myself, if this chic comes up to me one mo time.

AT that moment I was I was Kueing up "The Commodores - BRICK HOUSE"

I said to myself, she can get it over the head with a BRICK! LOL Ofcourse I am joking guys, don't take me too seriously. I next dropped these tunes...

Will Smith - Gettin Jiggy wit it

Bobby Brown - My Perogative

Chic - Good Times

Jagged Edge - Let's Get Married

Kool & The Gang - Get Down On It

Kool & The Gang - Hollywood Swinging

Vaughn Mason - RoLL Bounce Skate

Bel Biv Devoe - Poison

Boyz II Men - Motown Philly

Rob Base - It Takes Two

Kwame - Ownlee You

Sugar Hill Gang - Rappers Delight

Blackstreet - Booty Call

Cheryl Lynn - Got To Be Real

Justin Timberlake - Can't stop the feeling

Most of the people were gettin there swerve on especially through the Bel Biv Devoe portion. Others were mingling and going back for a second plate. But of course, just when everything seemed Tony the Tiger GRRREAT! The girl sends her son up to the dj table. LOL

I pulled off my head phones and said WazzzUp LiL man how can I help you. He goes, my momma asked if you can play a song called "ROLEX". I stopped dead in my tracks and said to myself " Tap, Tap,Tap WTF? Tap, Tap, Tap Who Da What??? ROLEX??? ROLMAO!

Nah for real, I had no idea what song this was. I was Clueless??? I asked the kid by who? He goes... Yeahhhh, Rolex by Ayo & Teo and I kinda looked at him like dude, I neva heard of this song before. The crazy thing is I have a 160gb music library I take on the road with me. I went into my Serato music search engine and typed in Rolex. Nothing came up. I was like can you believe this. I have 160gb of music here, and the song someone requests I don't have it. This is Cray Cray! LOL

I said LiL man, I'm sorry but I don't have the song. Further more, I never even heard of the song. So of course I am saying to myself, the first thing I am going to do when I get home is google search ROLEX. I'm Like Who da Hell is a Ayo & Teo?????

In my mind I was saying with a name like Ayo & Teo, I doubt this song is Family Reunion Friendly. ROLMAO! It just can't be a good selection.

***To Be Continued***

Guys,

I'll fill you in on the rest as soon as I can. My Little one is asking for Daddy Son time. Will fill you in on the rest of the feedback later on.

FEEDBACK PT 5 Continued...

I forgot exactly where I left off. To sum things up, I felt I did a respectable job. I felt like my music selections were appropriate and on par for the type of event it was.

Quite a few people came up to me and said they really enjoyed the tunes I played. A had one gentlemen come up to me and mention that he used to be a dj years ago. He said to me, your mixing was real good and your transition were right on time. I appreciate that he gave me that feedback. Sometimes that means more then any amount of money your receiving. I mean, I know what I am capable of, and I know how to mix. At the end of the day, most people will never appreciate it. Some people wouldn't know the dfference between a clean transition and a bad one.

I think the only thing I was personally disatisfied with was how long it took me to relax. I had the jitters and too much anxiety for like the first hour. I have to find a way to calm down and settle in. I think it's the fact that I have been away from doing live entertainment for a while. So now that I am getting back into it, I think I will get back into my comfort zone.

I'm going to list the last of my music selection. People were dancing till around 10:30pm and people started to pack up for the road.

Heres the last of the music I played througout the middle to the end of the gig.

Curtis Blow - The Breaks

Carl Carlton - She's a Bad Mamajama

The Mississippi Cha Cha Slide

McFadden and Whitehead - Ain't No SToppin Us Now

Sister Sledge - The Greatest Dancer

Billy Ocean - One of Those Nights You Feel LIke Gettin Down

Bruno Mars / Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk

Michael Jackson - Rock With You

Pitbull / Flo Rida - Green Light

Cameo - Word Up

Chubb Rock - Treat Em Right

Mary J. Blige / Swizz Beatz - Just Fine Remix

Johnny Kemp - Just Got Paid

New Edition - Cool It Now

Young MC - Bust a Move

Charlie Wilson / Pitbull - Good Time

Drake ft. Rihanna - Too Good

Estelle ft. Kanye - American Boy

Sister Sledge - We are Family

Destiny's Child - Lose My Breath

MJ - Don't stop till you get enough

MJ - Smooth Criminal

MJ - Off The Wall

MJ - Wanna Be Startin Stomethin

MJ - Billy Jean

Rick James - You and I

Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance with Somebody

C&C Music Factory - Everybody Dance Now

Chris Brown - Forever

Flo Rida - Elevator

Frankie Smith - Double Dutch Bus

Hamilton Bohannon - Let's Start the Music

Heavy D. - Now that we Found Love

Prince - 1999

Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines

Taio Cruz - Dynamite

Usher - DJ Got us Fallin In Love

Usher ft. Nikki Minaj - She Came To Give It To You

Donna Summer - Hot Stuff

Secret Weapon - Must Be The Music

Deee-Lite - Groove is in the heart

Empire TV Show Soundtrack / Jussie Smollet - Your're So Beautiful

Kool & The Gang - Celebration

OJays - Love Train

Chic - Dance, Dance, Dance

Rihanna - Don't Stop The Music

Sean Kingston - Fire Burning

Calvin Harris / Rihanna - This is what you came for

Earth, Wind, and Fire - September

Pitbull / Ne-Yo - The Time of OUr Lives

Africa Bambatta - Planet Rock

Anita Ward - Ring My Bell

Village People - YMCA

Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam

Technotronic - Get Up

Outkast - The Way You Move

MJ - P.Y.T

Salt n Peppa - Push It

Mr. C - Cha Cha Slide

Black Eyed Peas - The Time

Calvin Harris / Ne-Yo - Let's Go!

David Guetta / User - Without You

Flo-Rida - Low

Lloyd - Get It Shawty

Rihanna - Where Have You Been

Sly and the family stone - Dance To the Music

Taio Cruz - Higher

Will I.AM / Justin Beiber - That Power

Pitbull / Ne-Yo - Give me everything tonight

Tag Team - Whoomp There it Is

Chris Brown - Yeah!

Flo Rida - Good Feeling

LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem

MJ - Workin Day and Night

Usher - OMG

Nikki Minaj - Check it Out

MC Hammer - Can't Touch This

Rick James - Super Freak

69 Boyz - Tootsie Roll

Eddie Murphy - Party All The Time

Pitubll ft. Christina Aguilera - Feel This Moment

Quad City DJ's - Cmon Ride The Train

Rihanna - S.O.S.

Outkast Hey Ya

Bruno Mars - Locked out of Heaven

Macklemore - Can't Hold Us

Cupid Shuffle Line Dance

PHarrell - Happy

Sounds like a good gig. I just did my family reunion last weekend and I got the same Rolex request from one of the kids. I had it on my laptop already and played it. There's a dance they do to it. The clean version was ok for the party. If I had to play it again I would just play through the first verse and mix out of it.

My family also did the prayer thing. It's pretty common. We also had a talent show and some other games and lots of announcements. Family reunions are fun.
    My mission is to boldly go where no DJ has gone before