Thread: Advice for a beginner please :)

Advice for a beginner please :)

Hello,

I have 0 experience/knowledge with DJ'ing but I am wanting to get into it. Can people help me with the below please?

1) The best DJ Controller for a beginner?
    2) Tips on how to learn? (YouTube, Books, DJ Course)

The music I am into is House, Tech House, Deep House

Much appreciated.

DannyElv, I have just jumped in to the controller stuff and the best beginner controller I came across was between the Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 & the Pioneer DDJ -SB2. Both use Serato but you can get ones that use Traktor, Virtual Dj & rekordbox(Pioneer's brand of software). I did a lot of research on Youtube and read numberous online forums.
    Another thing to research is which software will work best for you.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick reply Ultra! I'm going to go for the Pioneer DDJ-SB2 DJ Controller

Appreciate the help!

check out "ellaskins" on youtube for beginner advice.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

The SB is a decent controller.

Resist the urge to play with all those buttons, don't go towards the flashing lights......

Learn as if you have 2 record decks, 'but this thing lets me remix on the fly' ah but it's not that easy, start with the basics, no need to dive straight into every feature or the full Serato DJ just yet.

A house (or techno/trance/soul/trap/hip hop...) is built on good strong foundations.

Deep ones, deep house foundations, corners bang on and true, edges straight and sharp, don't just dig a big hole, hit sync and pour a load of crap into it, it'll sound like a cement mixer.

Have fun.

once you have been playing a bit and got your head round it try covering the bpm and dont use the sync buttons it will be frustrating to start with but much more satisfying when you get it down its no fun if its to easy

Beat Matching, key scales, music genres - this are main points to keep focus while mixing. Ableton & Serato are the easyiest tools for mixing - in fact if You would go further You can make a good live setup with Ableton.

Like Micky B wrote, don't use Sync button. Try to learn how to beat match songs and try to do everything manually.

Best regards,

Tomek