Thread: DAC, Amp or BOTH for Headphones...?

Hybrid View

DAC, Amp or BOTH for Headphones...?

Kind of confused at the moment. Trying to get better sound quality out of this 'crappy laptop' and into my Pioneer HDJ-1500 headphones for general music listening and some music production/DJ edits in Ableton.

I know what a DAC is and I know what an Amp is. I know that I should just get an audio interface...But at the moment that's not financially viable.

So for now/situation...Do I only need just a DAC...Do I only need just an amp...OR...Should I get BOTH...?

Better yet, Should I just get a single unit that's BOTH a DAC and an AMP altogether in one...? Than that way I don't have to get 2 standalone units (1 DAC, 1 Amp).

I found this...FiiO E10k USB DAC Headphone Amplifier. I am hoping this will solve my problem and get me better sound quality. It will probably get me by until I can save up money for a high quality Audio Interface.
    "May the beats be with you" ~ ChewBacca ~

A combo of both units for the convenient . Some combos provide great sound quality but they're expensive af .
    2 standalone units if you like to upgrade each of 'em later .
    Here're my DIY units (USB DAC and cMoy/kinda headamp)

From HaNoi with love

I'm liking that cabling, looks handmade. What are the specs?
    Are those some modified Hifiman 'phones as well?
    Good work all round.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Thanks
    They actually are all handmade (except usb/otg) , I did it by myself .
    Nah , that's just Sony MA-300 with my own detachable cable moding .
    Here's another detachble cable moding project of me .
    From HaNoi with love

I was actually interested in which wire and connectors you use for the headphones. They look very nice.
    I'm going to be modding my 4th set of heapdhones shortly (use cable from Navships and random connectors from eBay, Shure and Neutrik). But my results don't look nearly as nice as yours. Also my stuff is just for listening, I use HD25 for DJing and can't think why I'd ever want to change.

I also use the budget stuff (ODAC/O2/Grado) and I have some of those cheap Hifimans coming from Massdrop shortly.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

It's just normal electric wire
    2 Neutrik/Yongsheng 3.5 male mono (i'm not sure if they're legit or not) and a Chinese 3.5 male stereo .
    Basically all the materials are cheap stuff (about 5$ for the whole cable) , but I don't have any technical problem whilst using 'em .
    From HaNoi with love