Thread: DJF Member of the Month - June 2017

DJF Member of the Month - June 2017

Our MOTM is Bill Fitzmaurice.

Bill has been with DJF for longer than I can remember & has always been here just about on a daily basis providing sound advice (literally). If you're a veteran member here you know about Bill. If you're a new member, Bill has been designing pro sound systems for nearly 50 years & passing on his knowledge to us here at DJF.

We appreciate his dedication to DJF over the years & we wanted to acknowledge him with Member of the Month for June 2017. Please take a minute to congratulate him & thank him for his dedication & advice.

WE asked Bill a few questions for him to answer & here is what he said:

As most know here, you have a specific design that you sell so people can build their own speakers. Give us some feed back on this please.
    I have over 50 designs available at my website. Some are home theater and auto sound oriented, but most are pro-sound, most of those are PA.
    http://www.billfitzmaurice.com

When did you first become interested in speakers?
    When I took up electric bass and guitar, in 1965. Not long after that I started doing PA.

What inspired you to pursue this idea for building speakers that people could build themselves?
    I built my first cab in 1968, trying to improve on what was available.

What was your first equipment/speakers?
    My first amp was a 1965 Fender Bassman.

What equipment do you mostly use now?
    Everything I have I made, including my instruments.

What do you do to continue to make yourself better after all this time?
    Experiment, and never be satisfied. The best speaker I've ever designed is always the next one.

How did you find DJF?
    I don't remember, probably by surfing the web.

What inspired you to continue to be an active member of DJF?
    Everyone was a newbie once, it's good that there's a place where they can get help learning their craft.

What drives you to help other DJ's/members here on DJF?
    Working in pro-sound has been very good to me, so I feel a bit of an obligation to pass on my knowledge. And it's fun.

What advice do you have for new DJ's with less than a year of experience?
    Read, read, read. Then read some more.

What experience have you gained that you would like to pass along to experienced DJ's with at least a year experience or more?
    Never stop learning. Fifty years in and I still learn something every day.
    Last edited by KLH; 06-01-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Fixed quoting at the end -KLH
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Well done Bill. A guy that has serious knowledge about low end and speakers.

Started making cabs before proper cabs were even invented. I didn't realise he was that old

The father-in-law is a ex-french-cabinet maker (think louis XIV style furniture with fancy laquers and veneers). One day I hope to employ his skills on a bunch of Tubas. Make some classy renaissance-style bass cannons.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Awesome member and it's about time we give this guy props. He's forgotten more than I'll ever learn.

We're not worthy!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Glad he's made it, because I voted for him. Well overdue, I had a few looks at your cab plans and was always amazed at the math behind it. Coming from a guy who's well into the Onken type, you're loud

I kne you'd had a long career Bill but wow! And I wish people in the industry I work in who have not had a long as career would stand by the keeping reading and learning mantra too.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Bill is the reason why I could Not be any more satisfied with my subwoofer "selection"!

GOOD design Bill!
    I am not a professional DJ. It's a backyard hobby I love! In the garage. Numark ndx-500, American Audio 10 mxr , 4 BFM tuba 24s, EV ZLX 12p's, Truss full of lights. I STILL have all my equipment as of January 2023!