Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New or used speaker?!

New or used speaker?!

Hi I'm new. Sorry if this is a really odd question but I need some advice. I have two 15" V2215 Harbingers as tops currently and I really need something for lower end.
    My budget is 650$
    Currently looking at the 18 inch Peavey Dark matter subwoofer NEW
    Or I found a guy on Craigslist who has a BGW M1100 Dual 15 subwoofer used for 650$ (possibly can talk him down some)

I am not sure wether to buy the new Peavey or the BGW. I've read that the BGW used to retail for 5500$ and can go as low as 29hz..
    Thoughts??

They are useless if you can't easily move them. The BGW is a 190 pound 27" cube, the Peavey 97 pounds - big difference.

I was pondering this same 'new vs used' question a few weeks ago.

I decided to go with all new equipment, even if I have to buy it a few pieces at a time, because unlike a piece of furniture, you can't always tell by looking if they have been all gigged out, or cranked up all day long at a fraternity house, where the transistors were hot as a firecracker all day, every day. Buying new, I know the history, and plan to take very good care of them, and being Yamaha, they have the 7 year warranty. I have no doubt that I will get my money back out of them with many years of "gentle" use. But that is just my opinion and is not at all my advice for you. I'm just a noob here, so I'm leaving the advice to the pro's. Not here to give advice, just to eat some popcorn, kick back, and learn from those who do this for a living.

Weight is no issue. As I have a large truck and am willing to transport if needed. I was really needing it for a Zumba classroom at a gym we own. As when they get done with Zumba class, I go in and practice DJing on my own. It would rarely get moved unless I get a gig that actually wants it.

I need something that can put out big sound. And I think the BGW would outrun the Peavey..
    Last edited by Ophanim; 05-28-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hunt View Post
    I was pondering this same 'new vs used' question a few weeks ago.

I decided to go with all new equipment, even if I have to buy it a few pieces at a time, because unlike a piece of furniture, you can't always tell by looking if they have been all gigged out, or cranked up all day long at a fraternity house, where the transistors were hot as a firecracker all day, every day. Buying new, I know the history, and plan to take very good care of them, and being Yamaha, they have the 7 year warranty. I have no doubt that I will get my money back out of them with many years of "gentle" use. But that is just my opinion and is not at all my advice for you. I'm just a noob here, so I'm leaving the advice to the pro's. Not here to give advice, just to eat some popcorn, kick back, and learn from those who do this for a living.
    I love Yamaha. But I don't care for the sound of their lower end PA speakers. (Club series & below.) Which is all I can afford new. (So I tend to buy JBL.) I used to be a big fan of Peavey speakers, but haven't owned any in decades. They have a lot of great passive speakers for a low price, but they tend to need a lot of power to run them.

I also prefer new for the same reasons you gave, but have bought used more often than new.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Sorry, wrong thread!

I don't see a lot of info on that BGW box but one link I found seemed to suggest it is a home audio sub. If so it would likely go lower than the PV but it probably won't go louder.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

The M1100 specs are 25-180hz. 1400watts IHF and 950watts continuous.
    >124db SPL over 40hz and a class AB+B Amplifier.

The Peavey on the other hand has 39-188hz. 470watts continuous, and 800watts peak.
    125db SPL and class D amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophanim View Post
    The M1100 specs are 25-180hz. 1400watts IHF and 950watts continuous.
    >124db SPL over 40hz and a class AB+B Amplifier.

The Peavey on the other hand has 39-188hz. 470watts continuous, and 800watts peak.
    125db SPL and class D amplifier.
    So they're close on paper but the extra lowend extension of the BGW would be noticable for sure. The BGW would be expensive to repair if something goes wrong and you would have to foot the bill, but I have not heard a lot of great things about the PV DM series so even with a warranty I wouldn't recommend I'd suggest an EV ELX118p instead.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks for the replies. The guy said I can come look at all 10 he has at his shop and play around with them. I suppose if I hear what I like I'll take the gamble and get one. Otherwise I'll just go for something new.
    Last edited by Ophanim; 05-28-2017 at 06:41 PM.