Thread: Another crazy idea of mine - Scrimpod subs

Another crazy idea of mine - Scrimpod subs

I got to thinking that if a subwoofer were the right shape, it could be made so it could hide under a tripod scrim,effectively being a subwoofer, lighting fixture, pole mount base for tops and scrim frame all in one.

Here's the rough drawing I created.
    https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...Zzbtmo62U/edit
    I haven't done the math to figure out if this works out, but it seems it would. 15" sub mounted in a semi Teepee or metronome shape. For various reasons like coupling, landscape orientation and packing concerns, one side would be perpendicular to the ground. The scrims would be custom made to fit the shape and be made of translucent, acoustically transparent material.

The drawing shows a single par style light mounted above the driver, but in reality, I like the idea of a bunch of single LED fixtures evenly spaced and with the capacity for DMX control. You could do all sorts of special effect lighting this way.

I show a bass reflex style but it could just as easily be a horn design. The horn design would decrease the available space for lighting though I think. Calculations would have to be made to figure out how stability wold compare to a typical tripod too. There's no reason why it couldn't have a larger base plate under it for added stability though.

If someone wanted to go ahead and develop this, they have my blessings. No patent intended, although if I were to decide to do it, and was first to do so, I reserve the right to apply for a patent. After all, this is just a basic concept with no real technical details.

Comments welcome.

And yes, I do know that coupling is preferred and this lends itself to discouraging that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Hmm... why not just make a bling-blinged out subwoofer?

The mock up you have would be extremely unstable, with the pole mount all the way at the back. It would need to be centered. So the design would ideally be a pyramid shape. But the reason that subs are typically square is to maximize airspace - a pyramid would not utilize this.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Hmm... why not just make a bling-blinged out subwoofer?

The mock up you have would be extremely unstable, with the pole mount all the way at the back. It would need to be centered. So the design would ideally be a pyramid shape. But the reason that subs are typically square is to maximize airspace - a pyramid would not utilize this.
    This wouldn't be a max output sub but rather something more along the lines of an ls720p in terms of output and range. The primary goal is to hide it in plain view. What you're calling the back is actually the side. Imagine them appearing as bookends on either side of your booth. I understand about it being off center re: stability and they might have to be more pyramid shaped (symmetrical). For custom applications though it might not be an issue for 30 pound tops where you know that's the only top you'll mount.

As for blinged out, that's a secondary goal but done in a way that would compliment a wedding setup. Hence the scrim outside and leds under.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Speakers aren't meant to be dressed up. You'll be limiting yourself in how you may need to set up your speakers on a per-venue basis.

I'm convinced they aren't a good idea.
    The basic idea of hiding subs in plain sight however is one I'm dedicated to.
    Towards that end I'm considering standard cube shaped subs that would fit under a table. i would provide the table so my custom tablecloth/skirt would fit for sure. The cloth used would be as indicated, white acoustically transparent. I would probably have a black set too for non-wedding events.

I would also have two tables so if I were boundary loading, I could have the sub table and my workspace table.

great idea for speaker design? not really

would they sell? hell yes,