Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DJing fad over?

DJing fad over?

I've noticed that there's less and less "everyone can be a DJ" sentimentality across the web. The number of new controllers seems to also be decreasing. In addition, there is significantly less activity on DJF and a number of other prominent DJing sites.

Is the DJing fad over? Has the bubble burst? What has everyone else seen?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

The EDM community seems to be thriving in the DC area, and we're still hearing from new DJs who want to get out of the bedroom.

While participation here at DJF has fallen off over the past 3 years, I have also noticed another site has lost most of its participation over the same time. I don't have to comment on how huge DJF used to be, I will comment on another site that also used to be "booming" with participation 3 years ago & now has less participation than we do. They are getting maybe 10 posts a day with maybe 20 posts max on a good day.

I am very proud to say that over the last year, DJF went from probably less than that, spiked for about 6 months but has again fallen back a bit. However, my point in regard to your question about "everyone can be a DJ" or new DJs, we have done very well compared to other DJ sites that I have seen. We are getting new DJs coming here a few times a week. I do agree with you that the "fad" seems to have faded.

This could be one reason. Over the past 10 years, we have been in a recession that put a lot of people out of work. To compensate, people fell back on part time jobs & or old skills to bring in some extra money. Now, over the past 2 years, the recession is beginning to lift, the economy has picked up, jobs have began to regain its ground & stock market is at its highest point in history by a huge margin, people have began to get away from part time jobs, now that the spouse has gone back to work etc.
    I think it was a fad as well as a need that is no longer as important as it was over the past 10 years. I think, over the past 2 years that income has began to increase, people have gotten away from part-time jobs so much.
    As well, during the recession, I know I seen my business fall off to almost 1/2 of what it was prior to the recession. People just didnt have the money to have big, expensive weddings. People were getting married in Uncle Joe's back yard, tractor shed etc, Aunt Suzie was making the bride & grooms cakes while Cousin Jim Bob was preparing the meal, while a boom box sat playing randomly off of its six CD tray.... all without a DJ. This put many DJ's with less to do, then with more new, desperate DJ's coming out, there just wasnt much work for anyone.
    So, my point on this is, many older, long time DJ's got out, the new DJs kept coming & they eventually went out for lack of income to even pay for the equipment. There are now less DJs both experienced & inexperienced. I dont know how many threads I have seen just on our forum selling their whole set up over the past several years. True, some are just burned out & are over the teenage/college/club DJ thing.
    Last year (2016) picked up significantly for me & I already have more gigs booked this year (2017) than I normally book all year. This has been a big year for me.

As for DJ help forums/sites, I think with a lot of DJs getting out & the fad being over, they have all gone down in participation. But, I have to say that, out of the sites I know about, we are getting more participation & acquiring more NEW DJ's than the other sites. DJF started its decline around 2014 & was at its lowest in 2015, before starting to pick back up in 2016.

Just my idea's, thoughts & outlook. I am overly interested in what other have to say. I hope this thread gets a LOT of discussion.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I can only relate to the UK and the dance music scene as that is all I really know.

Back in the 80s and 90s, people had their first access to accessible DJ gear (turntables, mixers, soundsystems) and there was less control over having clubs nights and parties.
    The music scene thrived with free parties happenning every weekend and thousands of people going out listening to DJ music. The urge to go out was probably in response to the dire situation economically and politically for the average person back then.
    In the 90s this partying got cut back through legislation and the club scene took over. This was probably the most popular time for DJing. Many DJs were hailed as celebrities and Ibiza was the holiday destination for the under-30s.
    In the 00s fashion moved towards gym-membership, healthy living and the less-technically-minded finally learnt how to use computers, albeit for "social media". Maybe they used these things as crutches, because life for the average person was still getting worse and worse. More pressure in education followed by longer hours in work, all leading to more competition over fewer resources. The nightlife has gradually shut down, be it pubs, clubs, let alone dance music festivals. While it may seem the gig scene and paid for festival scene are thriving, this is more likely just to be ticket-touts making shrewd use of the internet.

So that leaves us in 2017.
    All the people who know how what a good dance party is like are now over 40 with families. They don't go out.
    The younger generations are more interested in computer games or sports, too scared to ruin their career by having pictures of themselves at a dance club on their facebook feed. Besides their idea of a club night usually involves bottle service rather than quality music.
    The only thing that links all generations is there is less money about to go out and have a good time.

So, yes, DJing as a fad has ended. But it will carry on.
    Last edited by pete; 05-23-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

It's a fad for those who get a controller on December 25th, and it's in the cupboard by the 28th.

I don't have much interest in Djing anymore. BUT I don't plan on selling my equipment though. Because I put alot of time dedication on to it. I at one time wanted to sell off my equipment, but quickly lost interest in selling with lowballers. And plus I will forever LOVE my music. At this point. I now use my system for personal use only. And a once in a great while occasion like decorating the garage and playing music for Halloween. Make a show for the trick or treaters. Like this:

But now, it's mostly personal use now. As I TRULY ENJOY the bass from my tubas!
    I am not a professional DJ. It's a backyard hobby I love! In the garage. Numark ndx-500, American Audio 10 mxr , 4 BFM tuba 24s, EV ZLX 12p's, Truss full of lights. I STILL have all my equipment as of January 2023!

I will DJ until I physically can't do it anymore.

I started in 2001. I fell in love with mixing music.

Although I have played in clubs and in pubs/bars, my main motivation (for EDM) is to just continue to create and post my stuff for free.

I have mixes and tracks all over the internet for free and 2 podcasts, plus a once a month show on an online radio station.

I never saw it as a fad for myself. It was just something I HAD to do.

As I write this, I am about to record another mix for one of my podcasts.

A big problem is that many do not want to pay established dj's what we are worth..!
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Once you bought and own a pro sturdy controller....you can use it for years, so what's the point in manufacturing new controllers....who"s gonna buy it? (unless you have too much money to spent)

Maybe it's the lack of interest in and/or lack of quality of new music. Less dance-able, boring, etc. Maybe it's an increase in focus on other newer hobbies (social media, etc.)