Thread: Need suggestions for a PA sub for a studio!

Need suggestions for a PA sub for a studio!

Hi there! First time posting in this forum. Here's my situation: I have a 13x11 and 15' high music studio. I need a small PA system to reference my production tracks after mixing them, since I already have studio monitors and sub for mixing them. I also need the PA to record DJ mixes, practice, and to host tiny gatherings. I play and produce minimal techno and house, which--in my opinion--RELY on low frequencies due to the running sub basslines and low-frequency kicks, so I need my subwoofer to be boomy and to register 40 to 30- hz well. I would like to keep the price under $700, and the size portable. So, I have been researching the EV ZXA1 sub, the Yamaha DXS12, and the Ksub. However, the reviews I've read on them say that they're not boomy enough for SMALL GIGS...nothing about a small studio. So here are my questions: Do you guys think that any of these subs will do the job that I need done in such a small room, or would I still need a 15 or 18" sub to get boominess in there? Does anyone have the ZXA1, DXS12, or Ksub in a bedroom or music studio and can tell me their experience with it? Any other portable sub that you would recommend? Side note: I much prefer the ZXA1 or the Yamaha DXS as they're cheaper, but if the Ksub is going to make a huge difference, I will consider it. Thanks!
    Last edited by Progreser; 05-20-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progreser View Post
    I play and produce minimal techno and house, which--in my opinion--RELY on low frequencies due to the running sub basslines and low-frequency kicks, so I need my subwoofer to be boomy and to register 40 to 30- hz well.
    None of these small subs reach down to 40hz never mind 30hz, but then boomy bass is up around 70-80hz.. or did you mean you wanted both low end extension and boomy upper bass?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com