Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just not in me?

Just not in me?

It's only been half a year since I've bought Ableton and a simple midi-keyboard.

I'm aware it's only half a year and to truly achieve something it takes years. But every day after work for every single day I've been at it for at least 2 hours each day.

In this time I haven't been able to produce something that even remotely sounds decent enough.

As you can imagine, my motivation is almost completely gone.

I'm willing to cut my losses and just be honest with myself that it's just not inside me. But am wondering if anyone has gone through the same and in the end did manage something?

Have you tried to produce remixes or remakes of track? If you've only tried to make original stuff, I would suggest trying a remix of a tune you like. Look thru the remix contests floating around with the stems - all you would have to do recreate adding your spin on it.

Not as difficult as creating something from scratch and could help get your motivation back.

I can't add,anything of great relevance to Rek_Aviles,great post...it's said,"it not the tools,it the craftsman",.but that may not apply here!,..Personally,I was completely turned off to production,when using Ableton...try a different program.you may find that spark,is still there.

You should try checking out Tom Cosm...he does a great tutorial on how to create a track from scratch.

http://www.cosm.co.nz/

You can basically follow exactly what he creates and end up with a track pretty similar to what he shows you.

You do need to subscribe to his website, which you can cease whenever you like, so you can download all of his tutorials for a really low cost really. He has a great manner during his tutorials and it really does feel like he's right there with you.

Something to consider
    DJ Forum Trance Champion 2013/2014
    Retired

Motivation comes and goes, there are loads of good producers out there that just unplug from it all and refresh their minds. They leave it for a while before they get back into creating something.

Have you considered sharing your work with others in order to get an objective sense of how you are going, We are at times our own worst critics and we can be overly hard on ourselves and not allowing ourselves to enjoy the learning experience.
    DJ Forum Trance Champion 2013/2014
    Retired

I can advice you to trying copying popular tracks. (the music, the instrumentsounds,...)
    Likely you won't succeed 100% of course.
    But once you finished them, you will get in the mind of those producers, in time.
    I will take you to another level in the end.
    You can compare it with a noob guitarplayer who plays the chords and tabs of popular pop/rock songs.
    Many rockbands started their career this way.

I haven't produced anything in a couple of months.

I am waiting to get the juice again. It may take awhile, but my productions will be better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RestUnknown View Post
    I'm willing to cut my losses and just be honest with myself that it's just not inside me.
    2 hours a day simply isn't enough. If your writing music to be someone, to achieve recognition, you've already failed. Do it because it's what you love, if you don't love it, don't do it, leave it to those that do. Eventually it will become part of you (or not) and it will be who you are. You choose in the doing.

I might go for months with out going in my studio, been at it for 15 years, still rubbish... but when i go in, I love it, regardless to outcome.

It's a process that take much more time than 2 hours per day. As I produce, I start to build a track in my mind when have some free time at work. Then also I sometime sketch it on a paper and then take to studio and try to make something.

First of all You need to know basics of music production. How generate some sounds, where to place it in the mix. Then some info about arrangement and mixing.

I'm doing this for 14 years and I hope that I will release some tracks officialy this Year.

Best regards,

Tomek

If it helps even a bit, when I first got into production it could take me a month or so to make a barely listenable track. I didn't even release those pieces back then aside from occasionally playing them for my friends.. and I was doing my matriculation exam so I didn't really have much time from studying (and computer games) back in high school.

Then during the final year I landed a residency at a venue so that took it's toll too, not to mention a day job... my advice is that if you already haven't, pick up an instrument and take (if possible, private) classes/courses.