Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just not in me?

It takes a while for sure, but if you are a beginner, honestly I would recommend FL Studio. That's what I started almost 10 years ago and to this day swear by it. The interface is simple to use and understand. I tried ableton for shits and giggles on recommendation from a friend for a bit, but I just wasn't feeling it. I suppose I could make do if I had to, but FL Studio was much better. Maybe I'm biased because thats what I've always used, but I highly recommend it. Another great program that I have tried is cubase...give it a shot. Don't give up so soon.

Also, are you collecting lots of samples and vsts off the internet? The more you have the better, at least as a beginner.
    www.soundcloud.com/icewind

www.mixcloud.com/icewind

Quote Originally Posted by Icewind View Post
    Also, are you collecting lots of samples and vsts off the internet? The more you have the better, at least as a beginner.
    No its not. Having a few tools you know really well is better than a lot of tools you know next to nothing about. I downloaded a lot of freebies when I started, but got rid of them because I just had too much and was too overwhelmed and confused by them. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't test out a lot of vsts, but only to find good ones that work with his workflow and style of music, not to just have a bunch of vsts that may or may not get used.

Quote Originally Posted by djshire View Post
    No its not. Having a few tools you know really well is better than a lot of tools you know next to nothing about. I downloaded a lot of freebies when I started, but got rid of them because I just had too much and was too overwhelmed and confused by them. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't test out a lot of vsts, but only to find good ones that work with his workflow and style of music, not to just have a bunch of vsts that may or may not get used.
    I agree. I got a bunch of vsts at first, but have since narrowed down. You will find the ones you like.

The people I know who produce.. it's generally taken them up to a few years to start producing consistently good tracks.. and longer to really become expert. So 6 months is not that long, especially with such short sessions.

I feel the same way dude. All the great ideas running through your head and a complete inability to put them down on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by RestUnknown View Post
    It's only been half a year since I've bought Ableton and a simple midi-keyboard.

I'm aware it's only half a year and to truly achieve something it takes years. But every day after work for every single day I've been at it for at least 2 hours each day.

In this time I haven't been able to produce something that even remotely sounds decent enough.

As you can imagine, my motivation is almost completely gone.

I'm willing to cut my losses and just be honest with myself that it's just not inside me. But am wondering if anyone has gone through the same and in the end did manage something?
    on one hand, there is nothing wrong with it not being for you.
    but i'd agree with some of the points the others have made, do it for the love of it, and try a different approach. make sure you finish your projects and try to get some constructive feedback from people more experienced than yourself,perhaps then you can pin point where you are lacking.
    it could be that you are lacking some of the basics or rhythm or music theory or understanding of sound /accoustics and that is what is tripping you up.

take a look at this video (this is not related to music but i think the mantra still holds true)

Hey buddy,

Try not to pressure yourself into creating a great track everyday as music from within comes at any time of any day. So relax and plug those earphones in and absorb the world of music that is out there at your fingertips. I listen to my favorite type of music everyday and to either legendary artists from the past or to the up and coming new artists of today for me to gather inspiration for myself. When you feel the urge to create a new track that is the moment you lay the first set of sounds for the idea you have.

I use posting my tracks on various websites to see which ones people are reacting to.

I try to develop my own sound.

I listen to music all the time - working, driving, doing dishes, even in the shower. When I am mixing, it think about what elements I might want to include/use in my next track.

I don't have the time to produce right now due to the need to focus on some gigs I have coming up, but I am always actively listening.

Surround yourself with music and let it sink in like a sponge. Even if it just in the background, it helps.

Whoops again
    Last edited by setback; 12-29-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by setback View Post
    Ortho Aphex Twin flame to use to make tunes in about 4 hours
    No one makes a good tune in 4 hours. Yes they might of started that track 4 hours ago but it took them all of their life to acquire the skills to get to that stage.