Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just not in me?

As beginners people need to explore and learn what they don't like, what not to do, what doesn't work for them. Once they've achieved that in the repeated doing, they will get to the end result, what they want, much quicker.

It's only been half a year since I've bought Ableton and a simple midi-keyboard.

I'm aware it's only half a year and to truly achieve something it takes years. But every day after work for every single day I've been at it for at least 2 hours each day.

In this time I haven't been able to produce something that even remotely sounds decent enough.

As you can imagine, my motivation is almost completely gone.

I'm willing to cut my losses and just be honest with myself that it's just not inside me. But am wondering if anyone has gone through the same and in the end did manage something?
    Decent is like normal, everyone has a different definition of what decent/normal is to them.
    Without sounding like I've been smoking something or sounding like an asian philosopher, a realignment of focus may help.

Remember that practice does not make perfect, it makes improvement.

Take your latest completed/finished track and compare it against your previous finished track. Is your most recent better than the previous?
    If no, try and work out my it's not better, too much reverb, is the arrangement wrong, etc.
    If yes, excellent! Even if it is only by a margin. Can you make your next track even better than the last one? Have a try, if it is better, again, even by a margin, your are improving and that will snowball as you gain confidence.

Post your tracks on this forum and we can give you feedback on where you can improve, what to try that may help you and so on.

Stick with it!

Deleted
    Last edited by setback; 12-29-2017 at 12:06 AM.