Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing a long set 4 hours plus (letting long tunes roll)

Hybrid View

Mixing a long set 4 hours plus (letting long tunes roll)

I love mixing and my record collection but have abit of paranoia??? about what I should be doing when mixing for say 4 hours plus in terms of letting a record play for its entirety. Like I have records that are 12 minutes long (I mix Minimal Tech House) mainly, and when one record is playing I know I have a long time to wait before i mix another tune in...I know i can cue up the next record and beatmatch it in my headphones and also should be thinking 5-6 records ahead in my set so thats quite abit of the time spent but what do i do in the meantime...i.e. not leave the record playing for its entirety( seems a waste) or just chill with my beer and check my phone for the gf texting me lol? ? ? PLEASE HELP DUDES/DUDETTES,... Kindest Regards Lewis

To add to this i feel i would learn alot from watching a dj play a long set at and afterhours club event like they hold in Bucharest Romania. lol licking my lips at the thought tbh

Try do little mash ups, Try mix parts of other song You like to song that is on main deck.

Best regards,

Tomek

I think the entire point of Minimal Tech House mix should include full tracks. It is about creating a nice atmosphere. I doubt changing tracks fast would increase the quality of your set.

I pretty much always let the whole record play. (Unless I am working as a Mobile DJ where there are a ton of different genres in a set)

There is this craze of changing of trying to play as many records as you can in a set.

If you know your DJ history, the whole point was to extend the break and let people get down to it.

With minimal tracks, you would screw up the vibe if you changed records quickly. People would get into the track playing and then be surprised that another different track dropped in the middle of the groove.

OP x-posted this in DJ Techniques, here's my response to that thread -

Quote Originally Posted by Lewisme87 View Post
    ( seems a waste)
    It's not - you're the DJ, it's up to you really. Use the long tracks for a quick run to the restroom or bar for a drink. Minimal techno is a bit repetitive so I don't think you should let the entire track play out but those tracks give you some time to do something creative with it (e.g., mashup).

There are some long tracks that are work letting it play. I'll post one of my favs if I find it on YT. For those tracks, just chill and enjoy the crowd.

EDIT:

This one is 21 mins long but I would let this track play out for as long as the crowd can handle. Beautiful track!

Quote Originally Posted by Not Applicable View Post
    I think the entire point of Minimal Tech House mix should include full tracks. It is about creating a nice atmosphere. I doubt changing tracks fast would increase the quality of your set.

With minimal tracks, you would screw up the vibe if you changed records quickly. People would get into the track playing and then be surprised that another different track dropped in the middle of the groove.
    I feel the opposite about neeing to let the full track play with minimal but I do agree about not changing the tracks too quickly to create a vibe. A 12 minute track getting cut down to 8 shouldnt be considered quick, but 4 to 5 minutes it way too short.

Thanks guys

i would play the full tracks but try keep your mixes about a minute and a half depending on the breaks

I feel the opposite about neeing to let the full track play with minimal but I do agree about not changing the tracks too quickly to create a vibe. A 12 minute track getting cut down to 8 shouldnt be considered quick, but 4 to 5 minutes it way too short.
    True, 12 mins is quite long. And I admit, I do cut tracks short sometimes, but I don't recommend it as common practice.

hi, I don't like seeing Dj's looking at their phone, it shows they're not in the moment - i'd rather see the DJ just standing there, digging the music

It depends on the style of music and the individual tracks. In a genre like minimal, you probably can't let tracks play for a long time since they are so repetitive. you can probably use fx and looping to prolong some songs and keep them interesting.