Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl to MP3...

Vinyl to MP3...

hey guys,

i'm looking at buying a Technic S1210mk2 fully refurbished. I have a djm 850 as well. If i was to buy a high end cartridge, would this be adequate quality for ripping vinyls to digital files?

If not, please recommend me some turntables/ phono pre-amps.

i play out in clubs a lot so want the best possible sound.

cheers

53SHould be pleny good enough if the 0% lock on the deck is stable and the speed isn't fluctuating. If it is you would need to get the deck serviced, although in my experience while 2/4/6/8% might be out, 0 lock stays perfect
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

yeah planning on getting it serviced before i do! do you have any reccomendations for needles etc, and is the best way to do it through a phono pre amp or will the djm 850 sound be just fine?

sorry if any of my questions are stupid, i am a complete newbie to vinyl!

This question has been asked a million times here.

Anyhoo, if a digital version of the track is available, then just buy the digital version. The quality is going to be superior in every way than a rip done on consumer hifi gear.

Shure M-44g, about £60 on Juno.co.uk

yeah its for vinyl only releases. don't fancy playing vinyl out for the foreseeable future! want to keep my records perfect so i can enjoy them at home.

thanks for your responses, i'll check that cartridge out! i'm guessing that an s1210 would be suitable to rip from then, just with a decent cartridge?

Sorry have to disagree on the Shure M44-7.. whether it's the G model or not. The M44-7 is NOT known for great sound, it's known for great tracking. It was originally made to be used in jukeboxes! The G is slightly better, but still not a great sounding cart. The Shure White Label, which is also based on the 44-7, is again a little better sounding. But these are ALL compromise carts that balance sound quality with the ability to stay in the groove. For ripping you want a hifi cart with an elliptical stylus.. something like an Ortofon Red or a Grado Green would be a starting point. But there are lots of options. Stay away from DJ carts except for a few in the Ortofon line that are made for this kind of thing.

As far as the turntable and the mixer.. the turntable is probably just fine, the mixer has pretty good sound.. if you are looking for really pristine, super hifi results then you'd probably get better results with a respected hifi phono preamp (there are lots of stand-alone phono preamps now selling $100-300) plus a higher model USB audio interface.. will get you the best results. At a price. But having the right cartridge is far more important, so that's where I'd look first. When your cart is so good that the mixer is actually holding it back and you can't hear much difference.. that's when you look at that part of the process...
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 05-12-2017 at 03:54 PM.

i also have a scarlett focusrite solo, if that would improve the quality at all

thanks for all your info!

The Focusrite has a good rep for sound quality at the price, but the Solo doesn't have the right inputs for this purpose, the 2i2 would be the minimum Focusrite moded for this (I have one.. I like it).. plus a good quality phono preamp.

You can't just plug the turntable straight into the 2i2. But there are actually interfaces made specifically for vinyl ripping that combine a phono preamp and USB analog-digital converter in one box. Varying quality levels varying price. But basically that's what the DJM 850 you already have does for you since it has the phono preamp and a USB connection for recording to the computer... So basically there's no point getting anything else for that job unless it is an improvement on the sound of the DJM850.. which is not known for being absolutely brilliant sounding but isn't bad either.

It really depends on how serious you are about getting a truly HiFi result and also the quality of the system you'll be listening on. And your budget of course. I'd prioritize the cart first, turntable second (really any quality table will do.. the Technics is a good one of course but you could get a used Rega, Systemdek or some other HiFi turntable with a nice carbon fiber straight arm and probably get a bit better sound out of it at a lower price than the Technics). And then having a quality cart and a quality turntable consider also a different preamp/converter if you want to increase quality from there.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 05-12-2017 at 06:06 PM.

This question has been asked a million times here.
    Maybe a sticky thread should be made of it?

i play out in clubs a lot so want the best possible sound.
    If you're playing in clubs then your mentioned setup should be fine. The soundcard/audio interface can be average and your DJ cart should be elliptical (think rugby ball) and not a spherical stylus. Elliptical picks up more high frequencies.
    Make sure your records are clean and free of pops/crackle as best as possible. Also avoid using cheap moulded cables, by some decent ones

I've been digitising my vinyl (very slowly). I use Logic Pro as the recording and mastering engine.
    Below are 2 examples.
    The first one relates to your suggested setup, is from my TTX's using a Ortofon Nightclub II into a decent interface(Apogee Ensemble FW). recorded at 16bit 44.1kHz
    The second one has been recorded on entry level high end equipment which is from my 1210 with an Origin Live Silver tone arm, an Ortofon Black 2M into my Onkyo A9070 amp, into my Apogee Ensemble FW. Recorded at 24bit 96kHz.

You can get better quality than this but you will be paying silly money and the clubbers wont be able to tell the difference too much.

If you let us know what your budget is we can guide you a bit better